Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine
Knowing you personally, I surmise your maintenance intervals are lacking anyway.

I'll leave it at that.
You know me and my maintenance habits ? This vehicle/engine has a known MTBF of around 80k miles, that is well known in the marketplace. Lets see, bought in 2010 with 70k miles, failed in 2020 with 117k miles so 47k miles in 10 years. Basically 5k a year and 1 oil change. Worst maintenance item has been the brakes, never got more than 10 k miles a set.

Guess these folks below must have been extra bad with their maintenance, first guy had the turbos fail 3x by 64k miles and then the next guy who's engine grenaded by 84k miles....

1675378972032.png

Last edited:
   / Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #32  
Yeah thats a stout truck.
Let me know when you’re done with it…..
Thanks , the Ole Dude is one tough SOB . I cut and haul loads of fire wood from my property to my parents , try to keep them happy . It has never really spun a tire loaded , empty it will spin . Never stuck . It will deliver high 20s MPG any day of the week . It weights 7700 lb empty . Rust is its worst issue . This thing looks like a production line truck , everything is different , steering box , brakes , etc., Uncle Sugar Issue . I could sell it day that I drive it to town , not for sale at the moment . I have logged 125K on the Cummins swap at the moment and will never look back .

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #33  
I have a 2001 F350 flatbed 4x4 7.3 with 97k on it. Hardly ever drive it.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #34  
Those were decent trucks as long as you took care of the automatic transmission. Had like 7 of them from 1989-2000. Had a few with ZF manuals, too.
No power, but easy to fix, reliable.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #35  
Those were decent trucks as long as you took care of the automatic transmission. Had like 7 of them from 1989-2000. Had a few with ZF manuals, too.
No power, but easy to fix, reliable.
If you wake them up with a Gale Banks kit, they run quite well. I had mine on the dyno at work and it was putting 325 to the rears. I had Ford SVO do the tranny too. New clutches, billet actuators and a huge Hayden tranny cooler. You have to keep up on fluid changes as well and add a fluid filter and deep sump (increased capacity finned aluminum pan). Mine has a B&M pan on it. When they get hot, they fail. Mine never gets over 200 (f). E4OD SVO built.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #36  
I have a "92" dodge W350 extended cab, with Cummins and NV4500 5 speed with 95k on it, I almost never drive it.

SR

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #37  
My issue with retrofitting a Ford isn't the engine but the weight of it as it relates to the suspension. The Cummins is a lot heavier than the Navistar and the Ford suspension (especially a 4wd) really isn't up to the added weight.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #38  
Good read. Speaking about weight, back when i had my 97 12V dually, i used to be on the TDR site.

There was a guy that put an 8.3/10 spd RR in a Ford. He beefed up the frame to hold all of that weight. I would think that it still had to be hard on the axle, etc.

I stopped following the site after i sold the truck with 350k on it and loosing 5th gear again.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine
My issue with retrofitting a Ford isn't the engine but the weight of it as it relates to the suspension. The Cummins is a lot heavier than the Navistar and the Ford suspension (especially a 4wd) really isn't up to the added weight.
The Navistar 6.4 engine weighs 1130lb with oil, so it is very close to the weight of the Cummins 5.9 engine. The transmission cross member does get moved back to the rear most set of holes to allow for the longer straight 6 to fit behind the radiator.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #40  
I have a "92" dodge W350 extended cab, with Cummins and NV4500 5 speed with 95k on it, I almost never drive it.

SR
I regret all them trucks I passed on. Lot of oilfield around here and they used those trucks. Many good ole trucks went for 800 to 1200 dollars. Should have bought them up and parked them. My uncle worked for Cummins since Vietnam. He went to Navy diesel engine school before Vietnam. He went all over putting Cummins in tanks for the army. Said they turned the governor all the way up, zero warranty. He never married or had a family, so I spent a lot of time around him. Cummins was good stuff.