Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine
Thanks for starting this great thread!
Thanks... I bought the truck so that I could legally tow my 8000lb backhoe or my Kubota M4500 tractor from place to place. I have a 12k gooseneck trailer for that reason and couldnt come up with any legal way to do it with a half ton truck and the cost sure goes up when looking at a 3/4 ton or above, even used... I thought that I might be relocating to Colorado but that plan is now probably going to change to TN because of the rapidly changing political situation in Colorado. Sometime in the not too distant future I am hoping to buy some land and haul my equipment down to TN to start building my shop and somewhat later a new house for my wife...

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #22  
I’m at 3 years and 39,000 on a bone stock 2020 6.7L Cummins 5500. Just had CP3 pump done under campaign.
Purchased extended warranty (7 years 100,000 miles bumper to bumper for $2,700 when new from Stellantis).

So far zero problems. The truck with the extended warranty was cheaper than the other 2 contenders without an extended warranty.

I bought it because I needed a truck to pull 16-18 tons (hay & trailer) about 75 times per year and this one was the only one I trusted to do it and was cheapest.

I like what you did and have seen a few shops that specialize in dropping Cummins diesels in Fords.
I actually milked 175,000 miles from a 2010 F-350 6.4L, but did a turbo at 110,000 and rockers at 150,000, 2 DPF’s, plus a few other less costly repairs. All mine pulled great when they were running, but usually 1 of the 3 we had was down all the time.

Running 4 farm tractors-all pre emissions.
Hard to make a living on trucks and tractors when they aren’t running.

Last edited:
   / Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #23  
I know people at work that paid that exact price. Pull the cab, pull the engine, tear the engine down, install ARP studs, potentially bore block and new pistons, rings, bearings, possibility of valve train damage, new cam, followers rockers, 2x head jobs, new turbos, up pipes, new HP fuel pump, rebuilt injectors + any other fuel system parts. Put it all back together and back in truck, re-install cab along with new cab mounts etc etc. In my case replace DOC and DPF which is already several thousand $...

A guy who worked for me as a carpentry sub had a 6.4L in an F-450 he dropped 16k in a complete rebuild. I was routinely quoted $17K for a reman or rebuild back when I was running 3) 6.4’s in work trucks.
Nice trucks with problematic engines.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #24  
Here the Old Work Horse is , Dana 60 front and rear axles , both have Dana power locks , Cummins Powered , NV4500 , NP205 , Ramsey hydraulic 20 ,000 lb winch . It will drive anywhere on the planet , that you can steer the steering wheel . X US Forestry unit . I purchased and M35A2 at the same time.

Attachments

• A875C984-167A-43F0-B103-C951F82B3EE2.jpeg
    A875C984-167A-43F0-B103-C951F82B3EE2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
   / Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine
A guy who worked for me as a carpentry sub had a 6.4L in an F-450 he dropped 16k in a complete rebuild. I was routinely quoted $17K for a reman or rebuild back when I was running 3) 6.4’s in work trucks.
Nice trucks with problematic engines.
If you go with the Ford dealership of course you will get the replacement engine in the exact same state as the original, whereas with the independent shop at least they will upgrade anything that needs it or that they know about for basically the same price that Ford charges.

My truck does not make me any money, its just a money pit but if you want heavy equipment you have to have a legal way to move it... I would love to find myself an old 1950s truck to customize and drop my cummins running gear into when I am done with moving and building the shop and retirement house.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #26  
The VE pump is great..
Only problem I’ve ever seen is: (35 years in a fuel shop)
1) leaking front seal which puts fuel in the oil.. but Bosch fixed that by upgrading the seal..and could be caught early enough by simply checking your oil on the dip stick.
2) the boost diaphragm freezing up from old assembly grease from the factory..Again, an easy fix..
AND there’s a couple of good mods u can do if one was so inclined..
Keep up the good work and post back..

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #27  
Here the Old Work Horse is , Dana 60 front and rear axles , both have Dana power locks , Cummins Powered , NV4500 , NP205 , Ramsey hydraulic 20 ,000 lb winch . It will drive anywhere on the planet , that you can steer the steering wheel . X US Forestry unit . I purchased and M35A2 at the same time.
Yeah thats a stout truck.
Let me know when you’re done with it…..

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #28  
Love the thread. I want to do something similar to my squarebodys. I have an 87 (my avatar) and and 83, both with 6.2L diesels as the original engines. I have an older 12v cummins (destined for the 83) with the VE pump and was under the impression that the VE pump was LESS reliably than the P700. But I'm a Cummins newbie. Following your thread with interest!

Love the thread. I want to do something similar to my squarebodys. I have an 87 (my avatar) and and 83, both with 6.2L diesels as the original engines. I have an older 12v cummins (destined for the 83) with the VE pump and was under the impression that the VE pump was LESS reliably than the P700. But I'm a Cummins newbie. Following your thread with interest!
The VP-44 electronic rotary pump was the one that was less reliable. 1999-2002 I believe. Mainly because it was cooled by excess fuel supplied from the lift pump. But the Dodge trucks had a poor lift pump and as the lift pump would flow less and less over time, the injection pump and its embedded PCB would run hotter and hotter and eventually fail.

/ Putting a Cummins 24V with VE mechanical injection pump into my 2008 F250 with failed Navistar engine #30  
Knowing you personally, I surmise your maintenance intervals are lacking anyway.

I'll leave it at that.