Pup trailers

/ Pup trailers #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Have always been curious about them and what their advantages/disadvantages are. I was looking through CL while recovering from an injury the last week or 2 at home. Found a few for sale.
They are designed to place all their GVWR on their own axles independent of the truck and only rely on the power unit (truck, in this case) to pull them, air supply for brakes and electric for turn signals and the like. Also assume you need a doubles CDL to pull (possibly not for AG).
Anyway, thought it would be a 1/2 decent discussion while recovering. Thought about the good/bad of using one versus traditional hay trailer. It would be easier to unhook and leave where you want (as opposed to jacks)

1642601010594.jpeg

If Im not mistaken, could be a game changer for rear axle loading for the truck, since little extra weight placed on truck axle

Last edited:
   / Pup trailers
Lime spreaders use them as they can be detatched quickly on site for field liming
Very popular in my area and my Lime spreading company uses them.

1642604692809.jpeg

/ Pup trailers #3  
I have nothing of consequence to add. But, my father-in-law and I rebuilt an old cotton wagon, lighter version of the same thing. We never got the wag out of it. Lots of linkages to get right.

/ Pup trailers #4  
You just need to be careful off road with a single axle dolly. When making a tight turn, if a rear tire hits a high spot, they’re pretty easy to turn over. A tandem axle dolly is more stable. But, if you’re careful, single axle dollies are fine. I’ve pulled both behind a belly dump.

/ Pup trailers #5  
They are relatively heavy and short. They require a lot of practice to back. Cumbersome to hook up. And the air brakes would make them difficult to move with your tractors. Other then that they are perfect for the hay business.

/ Pup trailers
They are relatively heavy and short. They require a lot of practice to back. Cumbersome to hook up. And the air brakes would make them difficult to move with your tractors. Other then that they are perfect for the hay business.
I have air brakes on my larger tractor, but was thinking more about using behind an air brake truck for short hay hauls.
Could leave trailer easily at customers place or one of my farms, take loaded truck to another?
Also could use as hay carrier behind tractor?

/ Pup trailers #7  
They use them a lot out west are nick named wiggle wagons for a reason. Of course in Idaho they can pull triples so adds to the wiggle factor.

Like you have speculated pros and cons like any other piece of equipment.

/ Pup trailers #8  
One farm I worked used one behind large tractors as a utility trailer. No brakes or lights. No on-road except behind a tractor. All flat land.

Bruce

/ Pup trailers #9  
I have nothing of consequence to add. But, my father-in-law and I rebuilt an old cotton wagon, lighter version of the same thing. We never got the wag out of it. Lots of linkages to get right.
Our neighbor growing up cut the expanded metal sides off two cotton wagons and used them for hauling round bales. I’m sure that with all of the cotton modules being used now you could find a cotton wagon for cheap.

/ Pup trailers #10  
You'd have to check on your state laws, but I think pulling a full trailer, as that would be classified, is no different from pulling a semi trailer, or one with a ball or pintle hitch.