puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Getting ready to purchase a new tractor, have the option of ag vs ind for same price.

I realize industrial are probably more $.

All I've ever used have been ag or turf. Only reason I've used turf are because they have come on things I've bought and I tend to run tires till they are bald, patched 25 times, and finally dissolve into thin air one day.

I will need traction tires for dirt and pasture work, loader work, etc. So turfs aren't an option.

I like the puncture resistance of a good beefy ag tire, but never having used industrial, have no basis for comparison.

Tractor will have loaded tires, will be 4wd, will see non traction duties such as mowing as well as very limited hard surface use. ( some asphalt and concrete).

I'm doing all this on agg/ turfs right now, and yes, my driveway has beautiful ag tire cat track scuff marks on it.. Adds character. :)

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #2  
the industrial tires are alot like ag tires just not as aggressive and will not tear up the ground as bad. Unless you really think you need the aggression of ag tires I would go with the industrial

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #3  
If ypu're going to do field work go with ag tires if OTOH you're going to be on hard surfaces go with industrial. If you're not using any soil engaging implements industrials may be OK

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #4  
Stock R1/ag tires are almost always four ply.

Stock R4/industrial tires are almost always six ply. In most scenarios six ply R4 tires are 50% more puncture resistant than four ply R1 tires.

Both R1 and R4 tires can be ordered with six plies or more, but the higher the ply count the lower tire flexibility which results in moderately decreased traction.

Ply thickness on tire sidewalls is more important to some than ply thickness on tire patch in contact with the ground.

Industrials tend to have stiffer sidewalls than Ag's even if they have the same number of plys.

Most ordering Loaders also order R4/industrial tires which provide more Loader support with heavy FEL loads due to greater width. Six ply R4/industrial sidewalls bulge less under Loader loads.

R4/industrial tires wear longer over hard surfaces and provide a smoother ride than R1/ag tires. (However, relative to wear, remembering to disengage 4-WD when operating over roads is equally important.)

R4/industrial tires hold somewhat more liquid ballast than R1/ag tires.

Last edited:
   / puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #5  
Industrial tires slid sideways on side slopes, where my Ag tires did not. :thumbdown:

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #6  
Industrials tend to have stiffer sidewalls than Ag's even if they have the same number of plys.

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires
Jeff9366 hit on my most important concern, puncture resistance. Sounds like R4 are even tougher than R1, and that's what I want.

Yes, I will do some ground engagement work. I have a 2 bottom plow, 30" rear scoop, 5&6' box blades and an angle blade., a potato pliw and a few types of low engagement cultivators.

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #8  
If you are running in mud on steep terrain get R1. If not, get R4.

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires
Seldom mud, though 4" of sugar sand might be semi common.

/ puncture resistance of ag vs ind tires #10  
I think loading the tires may increase the likely hood of punctures. Higher pressure also adds to the likely hood.

After eating a 600 dollar tire on my backhoe from driving over a small stump I have learned to keep pressures down to 20 psi.

I've never been a fan of loaded tires for various reasons. Wheel weights are a better alternative.