"Pumpkin"

/ "Pumpkin" #21  
Re: \"Pumpkin\"

SCRUFFY, the was a post some where here the other day about how people used different terms down south. Mom also used to make chocolate gravy. I have walked to a one room country school and carried my lunch in a 4 pound lard bucket. Sometimes I would only have a sandwich made of fried potatoes put between a split open biscuit. Tell me about "the good ole days". /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif jim

/ "Pumpkin" #22  

Dang, Jim, you must have grown up further out in the sticks than I did./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Our school had 12 rooms; one for each grade, and I usually had either scrambled egg or sausage in the biscuits I carried for lunch. I usually carried a pint of milk to go with it, but since the school didn't have a refrigerator, sometimes my milk soured before lunch, so I'd just shake the jar walking home that evening and by the time I got home, I'd have a small pat of butter.

Bird

/ "Pumpkin" #23  

I just want to thank you guys and gals for doing one thing---making me hungry!!! I had a bowl of RaisinBran for breakfast this morning, yea that sure hit the spot compared to some homemade bisciuts and gravy---NOT!!!

The wife when she is in the mood can make some great homemade bisicuts and sausage gravy its the simple things in life that sometimes are the best. There is an art to good bisicuts and I just don't know that art but I've never really tried. So RaisinBran was the meal of the morning for me.

Now on a different note homemade stuffing for the turkey--nothing better. Take some bread put some mayo and pepper on it then a layer of giblet stuffing then a layer of turkey then a layer of cranberry sauce and oh my what a sandwich. Nothing better than leftover turkey. Once again thanks alot guys and gals you've got me thinking about food!!!
Gordon

/ "Pumpkin" #24  

I can't say about the bisciuts never had that kind. But I will say this---sure do have a pretty tractor./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I'd love to have that backhoe. Good luck with your new pumpkin and stay safe.
Gordon

/ "Pumpkin" #25  

Pat,

Congrats from a "lower Mich" resident! Nice looking unit.
As you probably know, orange is not my favorite color, but at least you should be able to find it after a heavy snow! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

JimBinMI

6-19648-jimbinminh.gif

/ "Pumpkin" #26  

Bird, sometimes when Mom didn't have enough sour cream to fill up the big churn, she would put what she had in a gallon jar and I would have to set and shake it until the butter seperated. Can't beat that kind of butter! Talking about living in the sticks, we lived so far out in the boonies that we had to put undearwear on the chickens to keep the hoot owls from breeding them! <font color=blue>/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[blue/]

/ "Pumpkin" #27  

We used to have two types of butter churns, one (two gallon)had a crank, and the ol' 5 gallon one had a plunger that you had to pull up/push down, never saw store bought butter until in my teens. School was a three mile walk to a 3 room plus gym/lunch room/etc room, one bathroom on the backside of the principals office...intimidating. My older kids went to a country school (never counted the rooms) but it was kindergarten thru grade 12, with the largest student body ever being a whopping 82 students. Biggest graduating class was 7 students.
All I can say around our place is the animals were non-breed specific when it came to reproduction activities.
Many a times, it would just cause you to shake your head.
Remember telling my Dad that we needed to get rid of the whole bunch and start all over with a fresh batch of critters around there.

/ "Pumpkin" #28  

Heck, we never had one of those fancy crank type churns; just the up and down plunger./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And the first time I saw "margarine" was when visiting my maternal grandparents in Oklahoma City and it was white with a little red pellet that you broke and mixed in the color. Maybe our livestock was a step up; we had a genuine Jersey milk cow (not registered though), and I raised registered Berkshire hogs in the 4-H club. Dad preferred White Leghorn chickens, but what we raised was usually whatever the Post Office was selling that Spring. How many of you remember when the U.S. Post Office delivered baby chicks? And if they couldn't get them delivered within a certain time, the postmaster sold them cheap. It's amazing what the Post Office used to deliver. In the early 60s when I worked for the Dallas Post Office, Sears still sold honey bees and sent them in cardboard boxes with ventilation holes covered by screen wire through the mail. I told my boss if one of those boxes got busted, he could punch me out on the time clock because I'd already be gone. I had all I wanted of bees when I had to help Dad work the 7 hives we had when I was a kid./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Hmmm, did I get to ramblin' and off topic again?/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ "Pumpkin" #29  

Bird, did you ever see a Rhode Island Red with a top notch?
We had some banty's given to us by a neighbor that had top notches, but down the road, we had Rhode Island Reds with topnotches too!?! Not sure who did what. Our Jerseys were ok, but we had one horse that wasn't particular. Pigs? never raised them. Ducks? Started off with the traditional white farmyard ducks, but had a brother who was interprising and set up a trotline down in the bottom pasture, baited with corn, and the barbs filed off the hooks. Caught 20 or 30 Mallards and 5 or 6 pintails that way. Ducks wound up being ????. Still ate good though. Stupid Billy goat would chase the female lab around, course that goat was retarded anyway. Between it and a goose, you kept a sharp eye out whenever you went out back to the outhouse! Neither one had any compunctions about lining up and butting or biting a backside. We either had some awfull big rats around the barn, or some darn small cats, never was sure of that deal. Traps were always full.

/ "Pumpkin" #30  

Scruffy, we had some Rhode Island Reds, but don't recall every seeing or hearing of any with a top notch. We also had one bantam rooster and two hens for awhile that someone gave us; never had any ducks, geese, turkeys, or guineas. I had 3 horses over the years, but only one at a time. I started raising an orphan billy goat once, but he froze in a cold spell, so then I raised one nanny and had her quite awhile. Of course, where I am now, I had 9 goats for awhile; kind of like raising goats if it weren't for putting up with one of those danged billies./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif They can be a real nuisance. I finally got in the habit of carrying an ax handle when I went in the goat pen, and succeeded in getting his attention that way./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird