Pumping diesel fuel

/ Pumping diesel fuel #61  
I am still trying to figure out this fuel business. I bought a drill pump at walmart for $5 and attached a couple of hoses to it. The instructions said not to use with flammable materials. I have used it a couple of times with out a problem. Has anyone else done this? Is it really dangerous?

Also, I was thinking of getting a 55 gal poly drum and having it filled when my home heating oil tank is filled. I think that would be OK for the summer but in winter I would have to cut it with 50% kerosene and the company isn't going to come out here just to deliver 25 gals.
David

/ Pumping diesel fuel #62  
If you are pumping hydrocarbons its very advisable to use an intrinsicaly safe pump. One that is rated for this type of service. Otherwise a hot day and fumes or slight seal leak just may make things unpleasant. You should also use a ground strap.

Egon

/ Pumping diesel fuel #63  
A lot of drill motors use brushes which create sparks. Sparks and flammable vapors = not good

/ Pumping diesel fuel #64  
Home Depot sells a battery operated siphon pump for $10.92. It is marked 'for kerosense only' though they sell it next to the red gasoline cans in the garden department.

Anyway I bought one yesterday and put the 2 D cells in it, and pumped a full 5 gallon can of diesel into an empty one to try it out. The thing works fine it only took a few minutes. Not as fast as you could pour it but it seems every other time I manage to spill some and with the pump you don't spill any fuel.

It has a long end you stick in the bottom of the fuel can, and a flexible hose on the other end. This is pretty nice to use to pump 5 gallons from a fuel can into the tractor. You can prop the fuel can up onto the fender and keep it level the pump does all the work. For ten bucks it is worth it.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #66  
Thanks,
I'll have to pick one up next time I'm near a Home depot.
David

/ Pumping diesel fuel #67  
If you already use fuel oil I don't see why you would bother getting a separate tank. By a 2 inch bung adapter w/ pump that will go right in the oil tank and pump fromk there. Re the drill pump - many pumps have to be specifically designated as safe for petroleum products because the seals have to be designed for that. If not the diesel may break down the seals on your drill pump. (Some plastics are "eaten up" by petroleum products. Try pouring some gas ina plastic disposable drinking cup and wait about 15 minutes - will eat a hole right through.)

/ Pumping diesel fuel #68  
Gerard,
My 330 gal oil tank is in the cellar. Is there any way I could pump through the fill pipe that goes from the outside, through the sill to the tank?
David

/ Pumping diesel fuel #69  
Easy answer - don't know!! Depends on how much suction the pump can draw. You're probably looking at at least 6 foot of "head" and a fairly long siphon tube. Also a little more messy since you would have to pull it out after pumping so the oil man could fill next time. Why can't you pump it from the tank in your cellar? Unless it's an underground tank? If the tank is accessible it should have a capped opening that will fit a standard 2 inch pump collar. You install the hand pump and leave it in place. (Mines in my garage so it's a little easier). Just attach a short piece of hose to the end that extends to your fill container and pump it right in.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #70  
I have a finished cellar and I really don't want the smell of diesel in the house. Also I am trying to simplify getting the fuel into the tractor. You are right about the mess with a long hose. I guess ideally, I would like a 55 gal drum with a hand crank pump and hose so I can just pull up to it and fill up.