Pumping diesel fuel

/ Pumping diesel fuel #51  
A couple of things:

First, I was always of the impression that home heating oil was a lot closer to #1 than #2 diesel, therefore it would have a lot lower cloud point.

Second, there is no injection pump to protect, so it probably doesn't have nearly the filtration that a diesel engine does. Filters are typically what clogs up with wax crystals-if there's no filter (or a very coarse one), fairly cloudy fuel can be pumped (down to the pour point).

/ Pumping diesel fuel #52  
I HAVE (2) 275 GAL OIL TANKS IN MY GARAGE FOR MY HEATING SYSTEM. I HAD AN EXTRA AIR DIAPHRAM PUMP KICKING AROUND SO I MOUNTED IT TO ONE OF THE TANKS AND FILL MY 2710 WITH THAT. I HAVE BEEN USING THIS SYSTEM FOR TWO YEARS AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I GOT TIRED OF RUNNING OUT FOR DIESEL IN 5 GAL. CANS AND THEN TRYING TO FILL THE TRACTOR WITHOUT SPILLING ALL OVER THE PLACE. I GET THE TANKS FILLED ONCE A YEAR.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #53  
If you use the additive you do not need to worry about water. I had a brain freeze one day and forgot to put the fuel cap on the tractor as it was parked outside, didn't realize it for a couple days and we got around 2' of snow those few days. I added an entire quart into the tank, finished fueling it up and ran the tractor and have no problems. I do not recommend trying this stunt too often but if you use power service just follow the instructions and you have nothing to worry about.

/ Pumping diesel fuel
Robert,

<font color=blue>...but if you use power service just follow the instructions and you have nothing to worry about.</font color=blue>

I have a confession to make. The Power Service bottles say that it treats X number of gallons, and to add Y amount per gallon, etc. After I realized what a small amount was needed per 5 gallon container, or per tank full on the tractor, I just started pouring in a "splash" of Power Service on each fill-up. I put a splash in the 5-gallon containers prior to taking them to fill them, and I put a splash in the tractor tank prior to filling it from the containers.

I'm sure I'm using a lot more than is required. This is mostly out of laziness, but also out of a feeling of security I get from knowing that I have plenty of the stuff to prevent problems.

Can this cause any problems (other than buying more Power Service than I might need to)? I would much rather spend a tad more on this stuff than have too little of it.

What do you guys think?

/ Pumping diesel fuel #55  
I think it can.

For starters, most additives are, as far as I can tell, kerosene, lighter fluid and alcohol although described differently. Water needs to be separated from diesel, not dispersed in it. Alcohol disperses water in diesel.

Among the additive users, who can tell me exactly what it is they're adding to their fuel via their chosen additive and how it accomplishes what the manufacturer claims? If you don't know, how can you be sure of what you're doing to your engine.

IMHO, the additive market is aimed primarily at people who don't understand exactly what it is they're doing. The tactic is to convince you that there is a problem and their product solves it without telling you how. People buy the product, have no problems and conclude the product works, but have no evidence that they wouldn't have had a problem even if they hadn't used the product. We saw this for years with lube oil additives, but the public finally has wisened up for the most part and realizes that lube oil doesn't need any help. I think it's a matter of time before the same thing happens with fuel additives.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #56  
Bob, I use the Power Service year round. You might want to read up a bit at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerservice.com>http://www.powerservice.com</A>. The label on the bottle tells how many gallons it will treat, but under some circumstances, they recommend twice that amount of additive. I guess the simple answer to your question is that you do not have to be exact in your measurement; a little extra won't hurt a thing. But obviously, you could overdo it at some point, and I'm not sure what that point would be./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Pumping diesel fuel #57  
I just received the new Cabela's (spelling?) catalog last night and they had a 26 gallon (approx) container with all hardware. Looked like a good deal and on wheels too. Try cabelas.com. They sell hunting and fishing stuff primarily but also stuff for atvs and the like.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #58  
With the discussion on the best way to store, transport, and transfer tractor diesel fuel I realized that with two tanks, my diesel truck is perfect for storage and transportation. The question is, what is the best way to get the fuel into the tractor. Is a simple siphon hose the answer or is their a better way.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #59  
Whether you pour from a can/barrell, etc. or use a hose from a pump or gravity feed tank or whatever I would still use the funnel because it has a STRAINER SCREEN!

Contaminants can be introduced into the fuel at any point from the refinery to your tractor's tank. The strainer screen in the funnel will catch it at the last available opportunity.

My grandpa would even go so far as to put an old piece of teeshirt over the funnel nipple to catch the smallest of trash particles.

/ Pumping diesel fuel #60  
I use an old nylon stocking from my wife stretched over the funnel for the same thing!! That's a pretty fine mesh but the diesel flows through just fine!!