Pump out Fuel Oil Tank

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #21  
Assuming the tank fill ports are plumbed together, why not isolate the fill piping to the tank you want to pump out, then use that fill pipe to pump the oil outside to a drum? You would need to put some hose on the end out side but should be pretty easy - just some 1 1/4 pipe and fittings.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
Separate fill pipes. Common breather. Tanks positioned with the valves together and plumbed together at that point.

tanks-cropped.jpg

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #23  
Looking at your picture;
wait till warm weather, make a diptube for one of the 2" ports connect your hose and fill your outside container.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
Looking at the picture I posted, I have thought about running the hose/tube through that window.....

The instructions for the pump tell me that I need to lift the intake out of the tank and continue to pump until the draw line is cleared. With the pump outside that would mean that I'd have to have a second set of hands in the basement to pull the line up while I kept the pump running outside. I need to be able to do this without enlisting others.

For both safety and the chance of spilling diesel I don't want to fill cans from the tank in the basement. The pump specifically says that I should not run it indoors, and I would have to agree with that precaution.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #25  
Looking at the picture I posted, I have thought about running the hose/tube through that window.....

The instructions for the pump tell me that I need to lift the intake out of the tank and continue to pump until the draw line is cleared. With the pump outside that would mean that I'd have to have a second set of hands in the basement to pull the line up while I kept the pump running outside. I need to be able to do this without enlisting others.

For both safety and the chance of spilling diesel I don't want to fill cans from the tank in the basement. The pump specifically says that I should not run it indoors, and I would have to agree with that precaution.
Have you considered getting a larger container / transfer tank to set up outside then pump a good amount at one time using the window then buttoning up till time to do again.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #26  
Your over thinking this -shut the connecting lines between the tanks, take the breather port out of the tank you want to empty, and insert a 1" flex hose to through the window to a positive displacement pump outside.

The pump outside you control with a switch or plug you pull when the 55 gal drum is full. If you don't want to do this heating oil companies do this all the time and they may charge $200-400 or so to do this - a small price if you are concerned about spillage and liability.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
Lots of good ideas here. I'll probably wait till I get the ball end and give that another shot. I'm not in a hurry. I only tried it the first time because it was warm out, record high temp that day for february. Cold out again now and I need a combination of a warm day, not raining and on the weekend when I'm not working. That combination is hard to come by this time of year and I'll probably have the ball end for this hose before it happens.