Pump out Fuel Oil Tank

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
I think I found what I was looking for, or at least something that might work, especially if I take a file to the sharp edges. Story to be continued.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
Sometimes it’s a matter of rotating/twisting the hose so that, eventual,y the end also rotates to the “right” orientation when it meets a bend.

Easier said than done and circumstances very greatly.
The problem is that the hose is stiff enough to not kink/collapse going around the elbow. I stood out there today for an hour twisting and turning the hose trying to get past the 2nd elbow with no luck.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #13  
I have removed a few tanks. You really need to either hook up to the small tank outlet or remove a bung at the top of the tank.

I also use HHO in my diesel machines. I filled up the 275gal house and a 275gal external tank at $1.28gal in early 2020. I suspect it will take me another 5+yrs to use this much oil

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #14  
I think I found what I was looking for, or at least something that might work, especially if I take a file to the sharp edges. Story to be continued.

Is there a reason you're trying to run the pump outside? There should be a valve at the base of the tank where the line goes to the furnace. Turn that valve off, remove the line and connect the hose from your pump. Should take just a couple pipe and/or barbed fittings. Turn valve back on and pump away. No reason to try to feed a hose down through the supply line.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
Is there a reason you're trying to run the pump outside?
Because I don't want the stink of fuel oil in my basement. I'm also not removing the tanks. I just want to use up the excess before it can go bad. I want to keep the tank hooked up to the furnace.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #16  
Because I don't want the stink of fuel oil in my basement. I'm also not removing the tanks. I just want to use up the excess before it can go bad. I want to keep the tank hooked up to the furnace.
Doing what I suggested has nothing to do with removing the tank. It's also quite easy to simply hook the furnace back up when you're done. There is a possibility of a small amount of fuel spillage, though with a few precautions that can be easily mitigated. If that's just not of interest, be sure to check the lift rating of your pump before going to too much effort. Many small pumps like that can only lift a few feet.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #17  
Doing what I suggested has nothing to do with removing the tank. It's also quite easy to simply hook the furnace back up when you're done. There is a possibility of a small amount of fuel spillage, though with a few precautions that can be easily mitigated. If that's just not of interest, be sure to check the lift rating of your pump before going to too much effort. Many small pumps like that can only lift a few feet.
I think that @BlueKnife makes an important point.

@hube2 when you check the lift rating make sure that the lift rating is for diesel. Lift ratings for oil and water are very different (larger) than the lift for diesel which will be much less due to the fuel degassing and vaporizing.

All the best,

Peter

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank
The pump I have says it has a 10' lift rating for diesel.

But to be honest, I don't know exactly what the means.

Is it 10 vertical feet?
Or is it 10' of hose even if the hose runs mostly horizontal for say 10 or 12 feet but the total vertical lift is 10' or less?

I have 2 tanks.
One is less than 10' from the top of the fill pipe to the bottom of the tanks.
The second tank has the same vertical distance from pipe to tank bottom, but it has a significant horizontal pipe get to the tank.

I'm not concerned about the 1st tank, but I have a question about the second tank.

This is what I was trying to check/test when I started this thread. I was trying to get the hose into the furthest tank to see if the pump would actual pull the fuel out of it.

I'm still waiting on the ball hose end that I ordered. It's on back-order. This is okay because the cold has returned. The day I was testing it was nearly 50F outside. But when I get it I plan to see if it will let me get the hose into the furthest tank and test it.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #19  
The pump I have says it has a 10' lift rating for diesel.

But to be honest, I don't know exactly what the means.

Is it 10 vertical feet?
Or is it 10' of hose even if the hose runs mostly horizontal for say 10 or 12 feet but the total vertical lift is 10' or less?

I have 2 tanks.
One is less than 10' from the top of the fill pipe to the bottom of the tanks.
The second tank has the same vertical distance from pipe to tank bottom, but it has a significant horizontal pipe get to the tank.

I'm not concerned about the 1st tank, but I have a question about the second tank.

This is what I was trying to check/test when I started this thread. I was trying to get the hose into the furthest tank to see if the pump would actual pull the fuel out of it.

I'm still waiting on the ball hose end that I ordered. It's on back-order. This is okay because the cold has returned. The day I was testing it was nearly 50F outside. But when I get it I plan to see if it will let me get the hose into the furthest tank and test it.
The lift rating is the total vertical height of the pump above the top of the liquid it's pumping. Pumps can push a lot further than they can pull.

/ Pump out Fuel Oil Tank #20  
@hube2 The lift rating is for a straight vertical lift. Horizontal distance adds to the friction in the pipe and will decrease the lift somewhat.

All the best,

Peter