Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #81  
I think this all comes down to whether the truck use qualifies as "commercial" as defined by CT and US DOT. I don't know, but have been led to believe that it's whether you are carrying goods for hire, or goods for sale.
In the case of the OP, as I understand it, he was an employee at a small business. So he didn't actually own the light truck or trailer, but rather was hired to drive it and go pick up a water pump.

So... for hire?

There have to be limits. My nephew has done Door Dash and Grub Hub. He is hired to haul a bag of fast food from the restaurant to a person's house. Very much "for hire" using his personal vehicle (Honda Insight). So, should he be required to get a CDL to continue his commercial hauling endeavors?

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #82  
In the 60's and 70's quite a few horse trailers pulled by station wagons...

Also a lot of sales guys preferred wagons because they could lock up stuff and avoid commercial fees and tolls.

Vans with passenger seats were sought after by small contractors because they were not commercial tagged and who would know if the seats were pulled?

A few did get caught and had to put commercial plates on their passenger cars which generally increased overhead.

Last edited:
   / Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #83  
These threads get off the point quickly. CDL rules come from a weight rating not what the load weighs. So again doesn’t matter if you are hauling absolutely nothing for no money or getting paid to haul a load.

It all comes down to whether you get pulled over by a LEO. Or in other words, whether you get caught…

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #84  
Something has changed with pickup manufacturing over the last few years. Almost all "half-ton" pickups are rated to tow around 10K. And "one-ton" pickups are rated to carry massive payloads and tow over 30,000 lbs. I was looking at the tow rating for my 1989 F350, and it is rather ambiguous, but I think it may be just 10K, the same as a modern half ton pickup.
This hits on my pet peeve with pickups. The nomenclature makes no sense anymore. The 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton trucks were labeled as such based on payload, not towing, capacity.

For many years, contemporary truck payloads have far exceeded those levels. There is unlikely any 1/4 ton trucks out there. My '17 Tundra is over 3/4 ton payload capacity. Likely the same for most "1/2 ton" trucks.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #85  
There is unlikely any 1/4 ton trucks out there.

I'm not sure there ever were. My VW Caddy was rated at 1/2 ton, I think. I presume the Ram 50, Chevy Luv, and Ford Courier were all half ton rated. Of course those were from an era that people would haul a ton in the full sized half ton pickups... just get the load loaded all the way forward.

Perhaps the Subaru Brat?

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #86  
I'm not sure there ever were. My VW Caddy was rated at 1/2 ton, I think. I presume the Ram 50, Chevy Luv, and Ford Courier were all half ton rated. Of course those were from an era that people would haul a ton in the full sized half ton pickups... just get the load loaded all the way forward.

Perhaps the Subaru Brat?
500 pounds going way back to the first Ford pickups?

Last edited:
   / Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #87  
The rated cargo capacity of a Brat (Directly from owners manual)

"For the Brat, the maximum carrying capacity consists of two passengers in cab, two
passengers in rear and 113 kg (250 lb) of cargo or any combination of passengers and cargo not to exceed 386 kg (850 lb).

Do not use the vehicle as a cargo carrier

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #88  
   / Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #89  
Military Jeeps were 1/4 ton trucks.

Truck, ¼ Ton, 4X4- Willys MB Jeep (1941-1945) - Museum of The American G.I.

Here's one data plate.

1712199631345.png
Bruce

Last edited:
   / Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #90  
Good info. I just figure we need a better way to classify trucks (tractors, too, for that matter).

Weight? towing capacity? displacement?....something better than 75 year old payload ranges that no longer exist.

With tractors, many people use HP, but we all know weight, capacities and frame size are important factors, too.