Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #21  
From memory we had a Packard car years ago the radio had motorized tuning by a switch in the floor like a dimmer switch.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #22  
Too bad that UltraRunner isn't around much anymore. He's probably got a pretty good list.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #23  
Dad's 1937 International-ton-and-a-half had a factory accelerator pedal that looked like a teaspoon welded to the end of a rod. There was nothing nearby to rest the side of your foot against so going thru a bumpy field meant setting off a chain reaction between full throttle and no throttle!

Crazy how we remember these things after 60 or 70 years, isn't it?

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #24  
Dad's 1937 International-ton-and-a-half had a factory accelerator pedal that looked like a teaspoon welded to the end of a rod. There was nothing nearby to rest the side of your foot against so going thru a bumpy field meant setting off a chain reaction between full throttle and no throttle!

Crazy how we remember these things after 60 or 70 years, isn't it?
Yes, and we can't remember what we did yesterday.... at least I can't.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #25  
If I remember correctly, the 49 IH Farmall A I owned decades ago had a starter rod to the starter. Not sure though as it was a long time ago.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #26  
some floor stuff... some had a starter button on the floor
most had high/low beam on the floor
windshield washer on the floor
some started pushing the gas pedal to the floor.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #27  
Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter...
When is the last time you did that in a car or truck?

Every time I take my 1951 Dodge M37 truck for a drive or a session working in the woods (a 1 ton on road, 3/4 ton off road pickup truck made for the US military during the Korean war.)

Gagner Gang on Brutus.jpg

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #28  
Ultimate anti theft. Carb engine and a 4 speed. No one is stealing it. You got a 4th pedal just to start it, just leave the keys in it, it ain't going anywhere

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #29  
Grandpa had a 1938 GMC pickup that worked like that. I haven't seen it since he died in 1979.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #30  
Ultimate anti theft. Carb engine and a 4 speed. No one is stealing it. You got a 4th pedal just to start it, just leave the keys in it, it ain't going anywhere
The old army truck I posted a photo of doesn’t even have a key. Just a switch on the dash labeled “ignition” that energize the ignition (but not the starter). So it’s:
  • Battery disconnect on
  • Ignition on
  • Choke
  • Clutch
  • Engage starter with right toe and gas pedal with right heel
And if you get it running, 1st and 2nd gear are not synchronized, so good luck shifting into 2nd if you are not familiar with it.

My 91 year old mother can catch the truck when it’s in 1st gear.

Last edited: