Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
When is the last time you did that in a car or truck?

i remember doing it as a normal part of driving, but can't remember what car it was.

Bruce

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #2  
Daddy's 1958 GMC pickup was that way!
David from jax

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #3  
I remember doing that, needed about four feet . One for gas, one for clutch, one for brake and one for starter !

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #4  
My 58 Nash has a choke & pull starter. It has a mechanical fuel pump will pull lever, so sitting a long time I manually pump filling carb, pull choke and accelerator pedal about 6 times...starts right up.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #5  
My Ford 9N tractor, except I had to use my hand instead of my foot (does that count?).

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #6  
1949 chevy one ton, last time started in 1976. It had an abused life and died that year.
When is the last time you did that in a car or truck?

i remember doing it as a normal part of driving, but can't remember what car it was.

Bruce

then to the boneyard.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #7  
My 47 willys jeep, except the button was on the dash. Man before that, it could have been a wheat truck i was driving as a kid, i can remember that, but im sure there were some afterwards. I remember rocking my foot over onto the accelerator while stepping on the starter

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #8  
By the time I started driving most American cars had "automatic" chokes. Floor the accelerator pedal before starting to turn the choke on (and put some raw gas in the carb from the accelerator pump), then after it starts and is somewhat warm, blip the throttle once to let the choke go back to regular position so the idle would drop to normal. Sometimes it would go in steps.

My first two cars were foreign cars that had manual chokes. On one you had to get it in just the right position or it would not start at all.

I still sometimes blip the throttle on an engine that's warming up to get the idle speed to drop, just out of habit. Modern FI works so much better.

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #9  
By the time I started driving most American cars had "automatic" chokes. Floor the accelerator pedal before starting to turn the choke on (and put some raw gas in the carb from the accelerator pump), then after it starts and is somewhat warm, blip the throttle once to let the choke go back to regular position so the idle would drop to normal. Sometimes it would go in steps.
My first car (1962 Falcon, bought in '67) had a manual choke, everything else had automatic. It had vacuum wipers too as I recall. Getting an automatic choke adjusted just right could be kind of a PITA since you generally had only one chance a day when the engine was cold enough.
How much to pump the accelerator varied from vehicle to vehicle. On a Ford you had to pump it 2-3 times, try that on a Mopar and you'd flood it.
Modern FI works so much better.
+1 on that!!!!

/ Pull out the choke, turn on the ignition, step on the starter #10  
My 49 Willys Overland had the starter on the floor, 3 on the tree with dashboard overdrive. What a tank. 50 top speed in OD.