PTO water pump

/ PTO water pump #21  
holy cow. why are so many people afraid to put hours on their tractors. i used to irrigate fields in montana with tractor mounted water pumps. they ran for days at a time. these tractors WERE 20 YEARS OLD AND RAN STRONG. Todays modern units can take it.

i hear the same thing said about log splitters..... like there afraid to let a tractor run.

/ PTO water pump #22  
Meanwhile, farmers in Holland let their $400,000+ tractors sit for weeks straight pumping out water during flood season.

/ PTO water pump #23  
I'm surprised people have so much trouble with small engines.
I have a number of machines with crappy small engines which I use at most once or twice a year (particularly my walk-behind tiller since I got a tiller for the tractor), and I haven't had one fail to start within three pulls of a cord - ever.
I always turn off the fuel valve and run the engine dry before putting it away.
California, 10% ethanol gas, no stabilizer. Am I just lucky?
1676484173163.png

Seems to me if you just need to use the pump once a year, either buy one and sell it right away, use it for target practice, or just rent one.
I have a good income but I definitely can't convince myself to spend $2-3k on an almost-never-used device....

/ PTO water pump #24  
I don't need another engine just to run 3 or 4 days a year.
Something else that won't crank when needed!

/ PTO water pump #25  
I don't need another engine just to run 3 or 4 days a year.
Something else that won't crank when needed!
i understand, but i have several portable generators i used to use in the field before i retired as an electrician. if properly stored, they will always work. my briggs 8kw hasnt run in several years, but i used it a few months back and started in a few pulls. not that hard if prepped correctly. my wifes mantis runs 1 day a year. always works. plus, i only use non ethanol fuel.