PTO sprayer or 12v

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #1  

Jamming

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R
Hello everyone looking. Been awhile since i posted. looking for advice on a sprayer. I have 700' of driveway and find the war on weeds driving me nuts and need a sprayer for glysophate. I know about the studies of the product and don,t use it much. about 3 gallons a year on my backpack sprayer to kill weeds but its killing my back 3 gallons makes about 150. I have a 3033r john deere or a X739 john deere. i can do a tow behind or a 3 point sprayer. But leaning toward a PTO driven one for my tractor. I would also like to use it for weed control in a mower area of my field, about 5 acre's. Looking for a quality unit. i have searched and found fimco, But the reviews are mixed. Anyone use one of the 40 gallon units 3 point? My budget is not limited because i just remolded my kitchen, wife is happy. Have a total of 15 acres and also a battle with blackberry bushes. Thanks.

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #2  
Do you have a UTV? I have a F/S Sprayer for my Polaris Ranger. 21 foot boom that I can control each boom individually. Plus a broadcast hand system like the lawn care guys use. It is 100 gallons and uses a Honda engine. Very nice (although expensive) setup. I also have a 25 gallon Fimco that I will use around the yard here that is 12 volts. Spraying is my least favorite chore.

I am a certified licensed applicator. What studies are you referring to?

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #3  
I am a certified licensed applicator. What studies are you referring to?

Probably the one that comes to the doubtful conclusion that Roundup causes cancer. But then the greenies have been trying to get the stuff banned for years.

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #4  
I use a 30 gal sprayer with 12v Flojet pump, and it works well spraying either a hand held wand or a 6' boom with 4 nozzles. Much easier to plug in the 12v pump rather than dealing with a PTO pump, IMO. I spray several acres of lawn as well as glyphosate on the road. Also liquid fertilizer and broadleaf sprays.
The tank and pump are on a small trailer and the boom is bolted on the front weight bar (2 bolts). Use it behind my x485 now, previously the 425. When behind the 425, I wired the pump into the rear tail-light so just by switching on the lights, the pump would run.

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #5  
As long as you have an alternator that can run the pump and keep the tractor battery fully charged then I'd use the electric pump. PTO pump will be quieter and you won't have to run the PTO at 540 rpm either it'll build good pressure at engine idle speed. My FIL switched from an electric to a PTO pump on his JD 3038e for spraying his yard and he never runs the engine above idle speed. He uses a TSC 3pt hitch carry-all with a 25 gallon poly tank, 4 foot boom with fan nozzles and a handheld wand...works great.

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #6  
I mounted a 15 gal atv FIMCO sprayer on the back of my tractor for lawn weed control w/ weed b gone. I have a little platform like a small carry all on the 3 pt hitch and bungy the sprayer down. It gives me about a 60" wide spray with its 2 sprayers and then it has a wand for special projects. It works fine but I think I am on my 3rd pump in 8 years. I can cover about 1/2 ac with 15 gallons w/ good saturation. When your pump dies, buy a higher quality pump.

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #7  
I have a little wireless remote and my spray tips have check valves so when I turn it off they don't leak. Still on same motor since 2009. I have used this sprayer on all sorts of different machines but I think with my lil BX this will work best.

2017-12-21 18.04.30.jpg

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #9  
I can not say much about which one to buy... I've built both types of sprayers, for the driveway, a small electric pump is pretty easy. With a 6 foot boom and I spray up one side and back on the other and I use one tankful, 12 gallons.

I have another larger one to spray the fields, this one is a larger boom and I need more pressure than the little electric one can provide so I have a PTO pump on the bigger sprayer. You need to clean (and oil, extra step) the PTO pump a lot more than the little diaphragm electric pump. Glyphosate will corrode a PTO pump if it's not cleaned up.

If you don't think you need to spray much, an electric one is fine.... more area, the bigger you should go. Make sure you know how to calibrate the sprayer (either one) so you can mix in the right amount of chemical. 30 gallons per acre is excessive, 10 is the minimum that I would go for good coverage. I think most labels recommend 15 to 20 gallons per acre.

/ PTO sprayer or 12v #10  
I have a 40 gallon fimco on my 739. It works well for my 2.5 acres. I welded a spring loaded return spool on the top and upgraded the sprayer wand. I love it. Though, I did replace the pump with a better one. Use the wand more than the boom, mainly because I'm spraying weed n feed and have a lot of flower beds that can't be hit. Photo below.

That said, with your acreage and needs, I would think a PTO driven sprayer would give you better performance with less issues. However, as you probably know, the cost is several times that of the fimco.

IMG_0098.JPG