PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the

/ PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #21  
Interesting comment Lou.. The shaft extender I have is split with a hex cap screw so you can actually clamp it tight to the stub and eliminate any vibration / slop.
It doesn't take much misalignment to have the extension being the tail wagging the dog. Also depending on the type of PTO driveline the extension can act much like a drawbar is set to short and a multiple piece shaft can get into harmonics when turning under load, such as a forage chopper under load while making a turn.
Also, I had to use an extension on a dual pto tractor for a hydraulic pump because it wouldn't clear the 1000 rpm shaft without the extension. When that pump got under a irregular load the pulsing would get everything to vibrating. That lead to a broken tractor pto stub which was a bit expensive to repair.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #22  
My M's are dual speed as well but both are flip shafts. Never had an issue with harmonics or vibration actually. Different applications require different solutions, no 2 are exactly the same.

/ PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #23  
This is a Ford 8N, about as standard a tractor setup imaginable. Do not grind on the tractor.

/ PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #24  
   / PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #25  
The 8N was made before the newer push button connections were around. See if a pull type collar connection will fit. You may need to change out the PTO shaft. Or use something like the PTO Link quick connect system with your existing PTO shaft. Part 2 shows how it works.

Videos - PTO Link

1698061277839.png

1698061235925.png

Attachments

• 1698061207210.png
    1698061207210.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
   / PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #26  
   / PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #27  
PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the button shaft that secures it. Anyone have any ideas?View attachment 827335View attachment 827336
I would grind away some of the flange around the release button so that the pto shaft fits. It probably won't take much. Most of the pto shafts I've used don't have that protection around the release button. Another option is to put a new yolk on the pto shaft that uses a slide collar to lock it in place. You can find them at places that sell aftermarket parts and equipment.

/ PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #28  
I have happily owned my 1949 8N since 1992. It is equipped like yours. My advice is install an override clutch no matter what! This will help you mate the shaft to the coupling.

/ PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #29  
Don't grind anything, don't buy anything expensive. What you need is an over-running coupler / clutch.
1. Will help keep the momentum of the mower blades from "driving" the tractor when you throttle down.
2. Will allow you to make your connection.

Example over-running coupler

/ PTO on 8N won’t attach to mower shaft. My 8N PTO has a kind of slight flange around it that keeps the u-joint from sliding on enough to engage the #30  
By the way, what make/model is your mower. I have a 1951 8n and 4 acres I could use a mower on.