PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #1  

plottamus

Tractor
PowerTrac PT425
Hey Guys - First time posting. Bought my 425 last June (2021). Love all the info in this forum.

So, I screwed up, but hopefully not too bad. Like others, my right headlight went out on me. I figured this was a good time to see if the LED fog lights I had laying around would work as replacements. I followed the directions in another post and popped the right side bad bulb out of the housing and removed the wire harnesses... light switch off of course. I then connected the the LED fog wires. Flipped the switch. It worked! So I flipped the switch back off and turned the key off. I was ready to start work on my more permanent wire connections. This time as I was reaching to flip the light switch on I accidentally let the positive and negative lighting wires touch each other, there were some sparks, the stock left headlight went out and the new right LED replacement went out. I flipped the switch off, turned the key off, and thought, I hope I can start the machine back up. I turned the key to start it up and nothing. Not even the clicking I've heard in the past prior to having to jump-start. So now I try to jump start. Nothing. No clicking. Nothing.

I'm a novice. First tractor. Very little mechanical and electrical experience. Don't have a voltage meter... yet.

Any ideas from you guys would be great. I'm planning to call Terry at PT tomorrow but thought I'd get a head start here. I really hope I didn't screw up big time.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Stuck in the Driveway.

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #2  
yea you blew a fuse, apparently a main one, go through the fuse box till you find it.

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #3  
Welcome to TBN @plottamus!

I would check the circuit breaker on the dash before digging into the electrical box. Press it in to reset it. You need the dash power to feed the power to the starting solenoid, though that power doesn't go through the dash. These tractors aren't like cars, and don't have many fuses.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #5  
Off subject Moss congrats on over 50,000 posts, I'm way behind you. I agree check the pto switch position

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #6  
Off subject Moss congrats on over 50,000 posts, I'm way behind you. I agree check the pto switch position
Thanks. 6.6 posts a day for a couple decades adds up. So does 6.6 beers. 🙃

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #7  
Back on the PTO switch issue, it's a safety feature. Won't start with it on. Ask me how I know. Did it a couple times in the early years, then maybe 2-3 years ago, I forgot about it and bought a new starter. Installed it. Still wouldn't start. Bypassed the tow ports, used a come along to lift they FEL arm and implement off the ground, pushed it by hand half-way across the yard before it hit me.... I felt stupid, and didn't even want to look at the switch. Mustered the courage.... it was on. DOH! Well, now I have a spare starter. 🙃

So hopefully that's the original poster's issue. I hope it is. It's a good learning experience.

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #8  
Hey Guys - First time posting. Bought my 425 last June (2021). Love all the info in this forum.

So, I screwed up, but hopefully not too bad. Like others, my right headlight went out on me. I figured this was a good time to see if the LED fog lights I had laying around would work as replacements. I followed the directions in another post and popped the right side bad bulb out of the housing and removed the wire harnesses... light switch off of course. I then connected the the LED fog wires. Flipped the switch. It worked! So I flipped the switch back off and turned the key off. I was ready to start work on my more permanent wire connections. This time as I was reaching to flip the light switch on I accidentally let the positive and negative lighting wires touch each other, there were some sparks, the stock left headlight went out and the new right LED replacement went out. I flipped the switch off, turned the key off, and thought, I hope I can start the machine back up. I turned the key to start it up and nothing. Not even the clicking I've heard in the past prior to having to jump-start. So now I try to jump start. Nothing. No clicking. Nothing.

I'm a novice. First tractor. Very little mechanical and electrical experience. Don't have a voltage meter... yet.

Any ideas from you guys would be great. I'm planning to call Terry at PT tomorrow but thought I'd get a head start here. I really hope I didn't screw up big time.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Stuck in the Driveway.
I forgot to say Welcome to TBN! ;)

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump
I forgot to say Welcome to TBN! ;)
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Great to be here. Also love how fast the response was... awrsome network of info here on TBN.

Got it figured out last night. The Kohler engine on the PT425 has a 30A fuse in place for this type of screw up. No breaker to reset on this lil puppy. Pulled the fuse and it was blown. Went to Napa today and put the new fuse in... she started right up. Napa had the bulb I needed too.

Pics of fuse and bright lights attached.

I also gave Terry a call this morning. He's sending over a new bulb and housing along with a 30A fuse. Great guy.

20220224_153429.jpg 20220224_154039.jpg

/ PT425 Electrical Short - Doesn't Start with Jump #10  
Congratulations on finding the problem.

So, where are you Pennsylvania? W. Virginia? (Guessing from the rock...)

What are the plans for the mini-hoe?

Looks nice!

All the best, Peter