PT1418 controls

/ PT1418 controls #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
OK, so I'm wondering what has changed in the controls between my old PT1418 and a newer PT422/425. I of course have the treadle and steering, the joystick to raise/lower the lift arms and curl/uncurl the bucket or other attachment.

There's a single hydraulic PTO on the front, and there's a lever on the housing near my right knee that is off when horizontal, and on when up or down. I had originally guessed that maybe up was forward and down was reverse (to turn, say, a power auger in forward or reverse), but that's not the case, it only goes in "forward". Is this the same with the current models?

Also, since mine has the old 3-pin attachment method rather than the current quick attach, I don't have any controls related to that, of course.

Short of the quick attach controls, what do the current models have that mine doesn't? I'm just curious on what I'm missing...<g>!

Regards,
Dave

/ PT1418 controls #2  
The joystick sounds the same.

The PT425 has an electric switch on the dashboard that controls the MAIN hydraulic PTO, on or off.

The lever by my right knee is centered. It controls the AUXILLARY hydraulic PTO which powers the hydraulic ram for the quick disconnect system. You can also move the hoses from the quick disconnect cylinder to the power angle cylinder on the snow plow or broom or whatever, so this knee lever will operate that instead of the quick disconnect cylinder.

On the loader arms there are two sets of hydraulic hoses. The little ones are for the auxillary PTO, which is run by the knee lever. The larger ones are for the main PTO, wich powers the mower decks, snow blower, brush hog, etc.

/ PT1418 controls
OK, so in a nutshell, it sounds like the thing I'm missing on my older model is a second hydraulic PTO. I suppose I could always plumb it and add it if I end up really needing it for some reason.

Right now, I'm just really happy to have a big bucket to dig in the dirt, carry crush-n-run, and carry 50 lb retaining wall blocks!

/ PT1418 controls #4  
Both of the PTOs on the PT400 are different.

The main PTO on the PT400 series is from one pump that priovides the power for mowers, etc. Something like 7 or 8 GPM @ 2500 PSI

The aux PTO is from a different part of the pump and provides power for aux cylinders, etc. Nowhere near the flow of the main PTO.

Ask Power Trac if your PTO is for mowers and such, or is it the smaller one for cylinders.

Does your knee lever stay in the up or down position if you put it there, or does it spring back to center if you let it go?

It could be that the only difference between yours and the PT400 series is the lack of an aux PTO for the quick attach.

/ PT1418 controls
Hey MossRoad:

The PTO on mine powers the two other attachments I have, stump grinder and power auger. So, sounds like it's the high-flow main PTO type. I believe I agree with you, mine simply doesn't have the auxillary PTO that by default operates the cylinders for the quick attach and other cylinder-operated attachments.

I'll check the manual when I get home and see what the flow rate is...