Propane Combi Boilers

/ Propane Combi Boilers #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
Does anyone here have experience with propane boiler furnace that also heats your domestic water . Commonly named "combi boilers"

I am considering buying one to replace my wood boiler furnace and at same time get rid of my electric water heater.
Most of the good combi boilers have 95% efficiency versus conventianal propane boilers being 85% .

I got a quote to have one installed for $12,000 cdn plus tax ....seem very steep to me and he tells me that my well water would have to be tested first . if it has to much sediment then combi boiler requires you have a water treatment. I already have a charcoal and string filter system with UV light.
So hopefully would not need to further upgrade that.(another $1000?)

My house is a well insulated house 1000 sq ft bungalow with basement and I plan on staying there 15 or 20 more years but $12,000 dollars for a combi boiler the size of a small suitcase (Laars mascot II ) that I see listed on USA websites for $3250 , I can't imagine it will be $8000 in labour to install it when they just need to join into my existing system 3 feet away and run some vent pipe thru the wall six feet away. Very few choices here in contractors for this.......I think I am being fleeced, what think you all ?????

/ Propane Combi Boilers #2  
My uncle (a plumber in Long Island) likes them. We looked at getting one, but ended up sticking with the oil boiler we have.

Aaron Z

/ Propane Combi Boilers #3  
Last fall I had a Navien condensing gas boiler installed to replace an old oil burner. Boy do I love it. The fuel savings are amazing, my house is 1200 SF located in CT and I went from about 450 an month for oil to about 150 a month for natural gas. I understand that natural gas be cheaper than Propane but there would still be a big cost saving for you.
My unit also makes domestic hot water and I had three zones installed so there are three circulating pumps. The total cost to remove the old furnace and tank and install the new system was about 8400.00. I didn't think that was too bad considering how much work was involved to do the whole job.

Check out Navien boilers.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 1,384
   / Propane Combi Boilers #4  
Can't quote Ca.prices but the water test is for "hardness" hard water is a death knol for boilers.Your carbon filter,UV,string filter are for sediment and bacteria.If you have hard water you will need a water softener.If you are rural name your poison..fuel oil or propane.If you have a supply of wood...an outdoor boiler is the way to go.