Project Update

/ Project Update
Jag,
Biggest hitch with the Rossi double barrels is they quit making them. They were still pretty affordable until Taurus bought out Rossi and stopped manufacturing them. The ones left on the market at that time took a heck of a jump.

The Vaquero is a different story. It appears to me that the increase of the retail price on the Vaquero was simply an attempt by Ruger to profit from the CAS demand for the gun. In January of 2001, Ruger took an across the board increase in MSRP of their revolvers, but it wasn't an even increase by product line. The new MSRP on a blued Blackhawk is $415.00 while the MSRP on a blued/cc Vaquero is $510.00. I discount the cc (color case) on the Vaquero as it's not real case hardening, only a chemical process so shouldn't cost any more than blueing. Since the Blackhawk has an adjustable sight, it should cost more but is almost $100.00 less. However, Vaqueros are still being bought new every day for less than $400.00. A friend of mine just bought to new 357 Vaqueros for $360.00 each. You just need a dealer who's willing to work with you.

Hoss

jdtsc.gif

/ Project Update #12  
Thanks

Iam gonna use your suggestions next shooting session.

On the fileing the front sight, when you file it; Does the exposed (new) steel need to be treated? Another words do I have to worry about it rusting pitting etc.? Dont remember off hand if it was high or low.

Thanks for the insight on getting the slug out. I have a piece of brass, didnt even snap to that.. probally saved me a couple of bucks I had it in the car to take to the gunsmith..

/ Project Update
John,
After you're done, just use a little cold blue to touch up the top edge of the sight. If you haven't used cold blue before, it's not hard. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Use a cotton swab to dab it just on the part that you filed down.

Now, a warning!! Go VERY slowly. File only a few thousandths of an inch at a time. You'd be surprised how little you have to take off to raise the point of impact. You can always file off more, but you have a heck of a time puttin' it back on.

Good Luck,
Hoss

jdtsc.gif

/ Project Update #14  
"Now, a warning!! Go VERY slowly. File only a few thousandths of an inch at a time. You'd be surprised how little you have to take off to raise the point of impact. You can always file off more, but you have a heck of a time puttin' it back on."

I was afraid of something like that, I guess JBweld would work..

Any suggestion on target distance? Iam a rifle person and usta shooting those ranges. I noticed that most of the pistol range distance are fairly short. Should I sight in for what I think Id like to shoot at or a standard yardage?

humm I think I confused myself.

/ Project Update
John,
Unless you're doing something very specific with it, most folks settle on 25yds for sighting in their handguns. That will work out for most things you would do with it.

Hoss

jdtsc.gif