Project Update

/ Project Update #1  

CVHoss

Gold Member
Tractor
J.D. 4400
I seem to be having one heck of a time getting a dozer operator out here to clear this ground. Gave the O.K. to one guy almost two months ago and haven't seen anything of him since. Started calling some more excavating contractors this week to get new bids. But, even though this stuff is way too much for the 4400 to handle, you just can't have a new tractor sitting around without using it for something. Posted some new pics on my website if anyone's interested. Finally got a path pushed to the end of my property. Lot further back than I remembered.

Hoss

jdtsc.gif

/ Project Update #2  
I guess it's just like everywhere else. Seems to be people are more than willing to take your money, as long as they don't have to earn it. Ran into the same issues trying to hire a brick mason.

/ Project Update #3  
Around here, all the really good dozer operators are so busy they can only do work for 1/4 the people that call them. The guy with the best reputation around here I've given up on. Never got to know him, so I'm in the bottom 75% of potential customers.

The GlueGuy

/ Project Update #4  
Same way around here, GlueGuy. But at least the guy who does nearly all the dozer work around here tells customers up front that he doesn't know when he can get to it, may be a month, may be 6 months, before he has a little spare time and has his equipment in the area, but he'll call a day or two in advance, and when he shows up, he's amazing. Does great work, very fast, and very reasonable prices.

Bird

/ Project Update #5  
CVHoss
Great looking website and property. I'd just keep plugging away at it with your Deere. Pocket the $$ you would of spent on the dozer.
regards
Mutt

/ Project Update #6  
Mr. Hoss, very very nice web site... Would much like to watch a cowboy match, have never been around one.. I have shot USPSA for many years and have a little fun with big bore rifles at outstanding ranges... I really do not like the cowboy thing too much now that I think about it... It has driven up the price of a couple of toys I would like to have....

/ Project Update
Jag,
You really ought to give it a try sometime. I'd bet you'd have a blast. As far as the price of toys, that hasn't been my experience with most of what I've seen. The demand for firearms for the game has more manufacturers getting into the ball game. In all honesty, the only two prices I've seen go up in what I feel is a direct link to the CAS game are Ruger Vaqueros and original Winchester '97 pump shotguns. The '97s are the worst. You used to be able to buy 'em all day long at pawn shops for $100.00 to $150.00. My shooter I paid $400.00 for and I've got a "parts" gun I paid $250.00 for. I've seen some extremely nice examples going for as high as $800.00.

Hoss

jdtsc.gif

/ Project Update #8  
Mr. Hoss, you can hit the nail on the head, Vaquero was it.... Also check the price of side-by-side 12 ga's Rossi's would go for about $125....

/ Project Update #9  
I got the Vaquero in 44mag. this is my first experience with with the fixed iron sights, any tips on sighting it in. Besides using kentucky windage?

Another question I have a black hawk in the same caliber w/a slug stuck in the barrel. Any easy way to get out myself? I think my freind didnt put any powder in the shell and it got stuck. Luckily I knew it didnt sound right.

/ Project Update
John,
The most important thing in sighting in a handgun, is to sight it in like your going to use it. Don't shoot off of a rest to do your sight adjustments. Handguns tend to "twist" to a certain degree when fired off-hand, and if you use a solid rest to make sight adjustments, point of impact won't be the same as when firing off-hand. Shoot at least 5 shot groups and use the center of the group (excluding any flyers) as point of impact. It's O.K. to prop your elbows on a support, just don't support your hands or the revolver itself. The disadvantage to fixed sights is that they can only be adjusted for one particular load. To adjust for elevation, you have to file the sight off, assuming the gun is shooting low. If it's shooting high, you'll just have to try different bullet weights until you find one that's closer to point of aim OR have a gunsmith install a taller front sight blade. For windage, you either need to use Kentucky windage once you know the guns point of impact OR have a gunsmith turn the barrel to adjust. DO NOT attempt to "bend" the front sight blade. You may get lucky and it may work, or it may pop off in your hand requiring a gunsmith to re-solder it and re-blue the barrel.

For the stuck bullet: I've seen this happen before and it's not difficult to remedy. I'll assume that the bullet is completely in the barrel and not stuck between the cylinder and the barrel. Just remove the cylinder, get a brass or aluminum rod slightly longer than the barrel and, inserting the rod from the muzzle end of the barrel, use a hammer and lightly tap on the bullet until it backs out. It can also be done with a wooden hardwood dowel if you have one long enough, but you may go through a couple of dowels before you get it out. To slug the barrel on my Sharps, I drove a bullet from the chamber end out the muzzle end of a 34" barrel with a wooden rod. Well, actually about 3 wooden rods. It will help if you have an extra pair of hands to hold onto the gun while you do the tapping, but you can do it yourself.

If I can help with anything else, just give a holler.

Hoss

jdtsc.gif