Problem with e-mailing of postings?

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings? #1  

Bradey

Tractor
JD 955
I really like the board and appreciate the work that must go into keeping it running and growing. My quick perusal of recent messages didn't turn up reports of a question I've had. Excuse me if it's been discussed before.

When I post I usually check the box "e-mail all replies to my real e-mail address". Yet when I check the thread after some time, it seems only some of the posted messages have been e-mailed to me (hope it's not my e-mail!). Perhaps it has something to do with the course of the thread, but it would be nice not to have to keep checking the thread. Thanks!

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings? #2  
The issue here, I think, is that the board is mailing ONLY replies to your own post, and NOT all replies in the thread. I believe others have mentioned this issue, and Muhammad has noted that he is working on adding the ability to receive all of the threads in the post, and not just your own post. If you look at a long thread, you'll see that there are sometimes multiple "sub-threads" that arise, and this I believe is at the root of your not getting some of them. Muhammad will jump in and whack me, if I have given the wrong answer.

BobT.

A Indiana Boy

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings?
Okay, so here's a post for testing purposes. I just clicked on "reply" on your message, BobT. Also, I did NOT click on "e-mail" all replies for this posting. It seems like I should get an e-mail for this post since I originated the thread (I'll check). Is there a way, or should there be a way, to allow posters who have opted to follow the thread by posting somewhere along the line to receive subsequent postings (maybe by always posting to the last thread rather than an upper level post)?

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings? #4  
Bradey - As Bob said, the board currently only emails the one author of a particular message if someone clicks on the Reply button for that message and posts a reply. It doesn't have anything to do with who the originator of the thread was. For example, if you click on the Reply button for this message and submit a post, your reply will be emailed to me because I have that setting checked in my Preferences, but Bob won't get it, nor will you, even though you've post posted messages to this thread.

As Bob mentioned, Muhammad is working on a setting to allow all the contributors to a thread to get all posts to that thread.

MarkC

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings? #5  
Gee, you guys know the features better than I do sometimes. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I would just repeat what was said for an answer. You pretty much covered it.

msig.gif

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings? #6  
Bradley,

How did the test go? Did you get a reply?

BobT.

A Indiana Boy

No reply. I didn't really expect one. I was just reiterating what I would hope for in a perfect system. Sounds like that's still a few weeks off. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Problem with e-mailing of postings? #8  
If you get this in your e-mail, the system is working properly. If not, check your e-mail address.

Yes, I got it. Not messages from MChaukley and Muhammad, though, for reasons already stated.