Privacy Policy

/ Privacy Policy #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Greetings, Users! I hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

Just a short note that we have added a privacy policy to the TractorByNet.com home page. We have always adhered to this policy, although it wasn't posted for a while. You can find it at http://www.tractorbynet.com/privacy.shtml or at the bottom of the page under the 'Privacy' link.

The policy explains all of our information gathering and dissemination practices, including the fact that we have always, and will keep your personal information and e-mail address strictly private.

Regards...

msig.gif

/ Privacy Policy #2  
Thanks for the info Muhammad. The policy is what I figured it was. I do have the feeling around here that 'trust' is not a misplaced value. That's how I've been operating, but it's also nice to see the policy made explicit.

/ Privacy Policy #3  
I agree with you Tom. The policy is very reassuring. One of the very nice user profile features, is the ability to not use one's regular e-mail address, but display a separate address. Or, to force people to send internal forum e-mail. This goes a long way toward keeping our identities private, should one desire to do so. I am always amazed at the great way this forum is run. Absolutely top notch in every regard. Thanks Muhammad!

BobT.

A Indiana Boy

/ Privacy Policy #4  
TomG and BobT, I guess the privacy policy is good, but I just ain't quite figured it all out (I'm kinda slow sometimes, I guess). I never figured out why I would want to not use my regular e-mail address, since I ain't hidin' from anybody, and don't know of any reason I would need to./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Privacy Policy #5  
I agree with you Bird. I have so very little spam that it has never been a problem. I have heard of folks having pages and pages of junk when they checked their e-mail. Maybe I have just been lucky.
JerryG

/ Privacy Policy #6  
I have heard that if you get spam and you reply to be removed of from the mail list you end up getting more. I don't know if this is true and/or how it can be so. I do get some once in a while. I just ignore them and delete. I agree that they are a nuisance. I do like seeing a privacy statement.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rowski on 7/22/00 06:55 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Privacy Policy #7  
I think there were changes to U.S. law a few years ago that may have slowed down the bulk e-mail business. Checking my e-mail account used to take 15 minutes sometimes to download all the spam. However, other than the pages of dirty picture ads and get rich scams I used to receive on another account, some of my reasons are philosophic and some practical.

A practical reason is that a type of virus works by generating e-mail to everybody on a computer's e-mail list. The more lists an address is on, the greater chance of getting one of these things.

Another reason is that the ability to construct 'stolen identities' works because a lot of personal information is available through public sources. A relative of somebody I know did have her identity stolen. The financial loss wasn't large only due to a fortunate accident. I maintain quite a few accounts here and there. If each account contains some incidental piece of personal information, a detailed personal profile can be constructed. All this information can be linked through the e-mail address. The less personal information available through public sources, the better.

The philosophical reasons are just the way I am. I think I try to both give and receive fair value for work given and things received. I know nothing of value is free, so if I receive, I expect to pay in some way. If read newspapers, I've got to turn pages of ads. If I watch TV, I've got to spend time watching ads. It takes resources to provide these things. If I use them, I've got to pay the price. This site takes resources to maintain, and there are ad banners. Fair enough, and real good value received here.

However, people who build bulk e-mail lists are providing nothing of value in return for the e-mail addresses taken (except for people who want to receive spam). It is a form of theft. I, myself, am unwilling to help people make money from an e-mail address that I use for personal communication, especially when all I receive is the aggravation of having to deal with spam.

For similar reason, I also disable 'cookies,' except for here where I trust that 'cookies' aren't being used to construct a list of web sites I visit. As with my e-mail address; if somebody takes something of mine, I expect to receive value for it. I also don't participate in telephone opinion polls, but with phone surveys, at least somebody asks before taking.

/ Privacy Policy #8  
OK, that makes sense, TomG. And speaking of telephone surveys, has anyone else received a phone call, then a printed survey form, with a promise of another follow-up phone call (and $25 for participating) in a survey about compact tractors by "The Leede Group" in Manitowoc, WI.?

Bird

/ Privacy Policy #9  
I would offer a couple of things for your consideration. Those that pick up SPAM lists, don't do it from boards like this. Go post on NEWSGROUPS and you can get on serveral big lists. Put NOSPAM in your signature with a note to remove it. Unfortunately, many people on the internet have no idea how to removed NOSPAM from your e-mail address and you will never get a message from those that want to communicate with you. Most ISP's have a mechanism to limit spam both through software and with cooperation with other ISP's. Most e-mail programs provide a lot of filtering, however it filters a lot of messages from this group, unless you turn it off. It thinks messages with $$ in them are SPAM.

Your e-mail address is readily available from most search engines. Just do a search on your name and see what they find.

The world is not worse from a privacy issue, it is just that your world is now much bigger and there is little you or I can do to roll back the progress the Internet has made in reducing the barriers between nations and geography.

I had a BBS on the Internet when it was a part of the ARPA NETWORK and if you just mentioned any commercial content, you were black balled. How times change.

/ Privacy Policy #10  
OK, what's a "BBS" and an "ARPA NETWORK"?

Bird