Price Check Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #1  

Impschocok

Tractor
Not yet an owner
Hello all. I am getting close to a new tractor purchase. I would like to think that I have well educated myself and determined what would best suit my needs. I have just about settled on a dk45se hst with a fel, but I am curious as to the price differences people are seeing between the 40/45/50, similarly equipped. The specs are very similar with the exception of hp. In fact the specs state that the pto hp between the 45 and 50 is 1.5hp. I think one would find it very difficult to find a real benefit to that 1.5hp through most normal tractor work. Anyway I digress, my real question has to do with the pricing between these models. As a believer that you can never have to much hp, the 50 seems appealing, but if in reality the 40 will do all the same work, is one only spending extra money for a label of more power with the 45/50 when it might be better served on an implement. If I lined up these three models am I likely to them priced at a difference of only a few hundred dollars model to model, or a few thousand? There has to be a point of diminishing return here. Thanks in advance for all the feedback as it is genuinely appreciated.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #2  
Hello all. I am getting close to a new tractor purchase. I would like to think that I have well educated myself and determined what would best suit my needs. I have just about settled on a dk45se hst with a fel, but I am curious as to the price differences people are seeing between the 40/45/50, similarly equipped. The specs are very similar with the exception of hp. In fact the specs state that the pto hp between the 45 and 50 is 1.5hp. I think one would find it very difficult to find a real benefit to that 1.5hp through most normal tractor work. Anyway I digress, my real question has to do with the pricing between these models. As a believer that you can never have to much hp, the 50 seems appealing, but if in reality the 40 will do all the same work, is one only spending extra money for a label of more power with the 45/50 when it might be better served on an implement. If I lined up these three models am I likely to them priced at a difference of only a few hundred dollars model to model, or a few thousand? There has to be a point of diminishing return here. Thanks in advance for all the feedback as it is genuinely appreciated.

The three versions of the tractor are truly identical in all respects other than decals and engine stroke/bore. The 40 has a 2liter engine, the 45 is bored out to 2.2liter and the 50 is stroked and bored to 2.4liters. Everything else is identical. Prices between the three seem to vary a bit. A couple of years ago it was as much as $2000 difference from 40 to 45 but I have also heard smaller figures though still over a grand.

Your points about relative differences in PTO power and more importantly in what work can be done are important. I haven't yet heard someone here with a 40 which they'd bought a 45 and no one with a 45 has claimed they wished they'd sprung for the 50. Loaders and 3pt lift are identical so the only real issue is whether the relatively small differences in PTO hp make a difference for you. The 40 runs 6ft implements just fine. Larger implements are much more expensive so the cost of moving up to run bigger implements requires both the premium for the extra hp and the much more expensive implements.

I've always argued that the 40 is the best bang for the buck. I've had one now for 4+years and have zero wishes for more HP. I'd buy the 45 in the cab version but only to make up for the A/C drag.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #3  
I'm in the process of buying a cabbed hst tractor to pull a 6' brush hog on 12 acres of grass (old hayfield). I've settled on the DK45SE, chose it over the DK40SE because of the air conditioning taking power to run. I got a price on the DK50SE yesterday, $2K difference from my local dealer. I think that's a lot of money for 1.5 PTO HP when everything else is the same.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50
$2000 does seem steep for the dk50 jump. That's kinda what I was afraid of. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something other than the slight jump in hp to account for that much money. As I had said earlier, I had in my mind that the dk45 would be a good fit for my needs, but now I'm really considering the dk40 and taking my money savings into the implement world.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #5  
Impschocok said:
$2000 does seem steep for the dk50 jump. That's kinda what I was afraid of. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something other than the slight jump in hp to account for that much money. As I had said earlier, I had in my mind that the dk45 would be a good fit for my needs, but now I'm really considering the dk40 and taking my money savings into the implement world.

A DK40 with an extra $1500-2000 to spend on implements will get a lot more work done than by simply boring out the engine block to get 4hp.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #6  
Can you elaborate on how you plan to use the tractor? What pto type attachments will you be using OR do you know yet? In the tractor world, more is almost always better.......(with a grain of salt).:laughing:

I run a 6ft brush bull (Woods bush hog), use a 6ft. KK tiller, and have never had an issue. Granted, this may be very limited in comparison to what others use and/or need.

Actually, in the past 2 seasons of use, I run my brush bull around the 2000 to 2100 rpms (less than the 540 PTO speed mark calls for...) and I run in the M range. With the tiller, I'm in the L range and going slow. I've yet to have any problems w/ these attachments.

If you were getting a cab unit, I can see where the A/C may have a slight impact on the PTO but still not that significant? (again, not knowing what you are using w/ it??)

I agree w/ IT that the 40 is the best bang for your $$. Unless you are going to try and do some baling work where you may need more PTO hp, I think you'd be happy w/ the 40 and some nice implements.....just my opinion.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #7  
One of our Ontario members here got quotes of only $1000 more to go to the 50 from the 40. He went for the 50 which makes sense for that little money, but I suspect that specific dealer really wanted to move a 50 for some reason? My dealer quoted $1200 more to go to the 45.
An interesting fact as well, is that the 45 and 50 are about 5% more fuel efficient than the 40 according to the charts Kioti publishes.
Probably not a big deal for the 100hr per year user but over time the 45 or 50 would partially pay for themselves.
For me, the extra cost of the 45 or 50 was not an option so it was an easy choice to get the 40 and I haven't even turned on the pto yet in the first 58 hours so clearly PTO hp isn't a concern of mine. Could be for others though.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #8  
Without a cab my dealer offered the DK50 for only $1000.00 more than the DK40. I needed the extra PTO to run a baler so even a little more HP was a factor.

Timing is very important. My first tractor did not come in on time. I was not happy but my dealer told me the new rebates were even bigger. We cancelled the original order and reordered to take advantage of the better rebates. See if your dealer will tell you when the best rebates will be in effect.

Good Luck

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #9  
Without a cab my dealer offered the DK50 for only $1000.00 more than the DK40. I needed the extra PTO to run a baler so even a little more HP was a factor.

That is far more realistic a price difference. To be honest though, it literally doesn't cost Kioti more than a few bucks extra to make the DK45 or DK50. They are identical in every respect except for how they bore and stroke the engine block. Different sized pistons must cost pretty much the same. The price differentials are just marketing driven. It might even be that Kioti "needs" to charge more for the 50 in order to get Kubota and JD shoppers to take it seriously, I don't know but it sure isn't in the manufacturing costs.

/ Pricing between dk40/dk45/dk50 #10  
This is the same story as the CK line. The jump from CK27 to CK30 is only $700 but the jump from CK30 to CK35 is $2000. I'm with the OP, the more hp the better and I was willing too spend an extra $700 but $2000 more on top of that for very little extra wasn't worth it. I think it's going to depend on individuals and their preferences and how they value the premium over the life of the tractor.