Price to install a service door

/ Price to install a service door #21  
Today you need to be prepared for a shock when pricing anything. We just got a quote for replacing a steel door in a masonry (concrete block with face brick) wall - $4500.

We have a door like that,, literally, I could get ZERO people to quote the install.
Even a close friend that is a neighbor said "NO WAY!"
It must be a tricky install,, so our mid 1970's steel door got a coat of tractor enamel,,

before,,:

JJERvGe.jpg

After 2 coats of custom blended tractor paints,,

aBhVILe.jpg

My plan was to try to come close to the color the wife picked with the enamel.
The enamel would be the "primer"
Then, we would paint the door with the color that she chose.

I ended up virtually matching the color she wanted,
so, for now, another coat of paint is on hold.

Everyone seems to like the very high gloss of the paint
you do not see gloss used much in home decoration

The gloss makes the door "catch your eye",, which is what an entrance door is supposed to do,,,.

/ Price to install a service door #22  
I am so blessed to grow up so self sufficient. The only task I've ever had to farm out has been front end alignments. Life has provided all the knowledge and wherewithal to do things myself.

Age and health is slowing me down now and soon, I may be forced to search, wait and be totally unimpressed with the workforce that may or may not be available.

/ Price to install a service door
Years ago, I was a contractor for one of those big box stores. That $299 install had to
<snip>
These days, I wouldn't trust any of the installers working for the big box stores.....

Do it yourself for sure!

I had to pay for the guy to come out and look at the job.

/ Price to install a service door #24  
The door out onto the deck is original, 47 years old, the seal is getting bad, the thermopane window has lost it's seal, and the wood trim is getting pretty rotten, so I went to Lowes and looked at a new 32" X 80" steel exterior door. They only had one with the built-in shade, which I really don't want, but the ones without the shade, which is $100 cheaper, are special order, probably take six to ten weeks to get.
I asked if they could install it, the salesman said they could, and that installation was $299. That sounded a little high for an hour or two's work, it they know what they're doing, but fine, do it. He said they would have a guy come out and make sure there were no other problems and get back to me. The guy, nice fellow, came out the next day, looked it over, I pointed out that the threshold was partially rotted and he said they normally replace them anyway. I said I would replace the interior trim, all he needed to do was fix the threshold and put the door and casing in, I even already have the lockset and deadbolt.
So, the next morning, the salesman from Lowes calls and says that total for the door and installation will be ~$1180.
The door was $380, and the other $800 was for installation. He said normal install is $299, repairing the threshold was $250, modifying the header(???) was another $175 and the rest was for hauling away the old door. I don't know why the estimator said the header needed to me modified. there's nothing wrong up there, just a small gap (1/4") above the casing that has a couple of shims in it, no rot or anything.
I was pretty pissed, and just told him to forget it, I would do it myself.

Is that the going rate for a job like this, or am I just a cheap ass?

The $299 was high to me.

/ Price to install a service door #25  
Heck, you and Mossy7 live close to each other. PM him and maybe he can come over and give you a hand. I hear he works for food anyway...lol
FOOD? Did someone say food??

😛

/ Price to install a service door #26  
Well, that brings about a whole bunch of questions. First is it pre-hung door? If so, the jamb and threshold shoud be included. Second, is the jamb composite. If not, get one that is. It will not rot and bugs will not eat it. If you are talking about UNDER the door threshold, then how did he know it was rotted.

A word of caution. I ordered a custom door custom door, brand was Masonite and was a fiberglass with blinds and composite jamb. It was custom because I needed it with less than 80" height. Cost was $950. Ordered it on July 17, 2021. Received it on December 2, 2021 - and that was supposed to be a "rush order."

The door is very nice.

If you are getting the same size, then your rough opening size probably is the same. That is the size the hole has to be. If the floor is rotted, you may need to (after taking out the door) cut the rotten wood out tan replacing it with a larger piece that covers a few floor joists. If there is no room to nail the new piece on the joist, nail a 2x4 board (for nailer) onto the side of the joist to nail into and support the new piece.

NEVER open the door until the jamb is secured. That keeps it square, but check that also as you go.

That is a terrible installation cost. Unless there is some major work to be done. If you do much wood work at all, you should be able to handle it. The extra space 1/4-1/2" is supposed to be there. It gives you room to make sure the door is true and not tilted. Put it in place, check with a level or plumb. Check this and tack jamb on the HINGE side jamb. ANYTIME you nail the jamb, Snug wooden shims between rough opening and jamb, then tack (lightly nail so that you can take the nail out if needed). DO NOT deform the jamb. That is the purpose of using shims. Tach all sides of the jamb. Continually check true and secure permanent. Insulate the space in the rough opening.

Also, you may have a neighbor or friend who would be good help and may have replaced a door of his own. The job is easier with 2 people. Best wishes.
Consider your options. Then never look back.

/ Price to install a service door #27  
Many time a simple job turns out to be not so simple and estimates padded...

When I have good craftsman I find it's better to have site prepped and pay for the time realizing even a 15 minute job can take far more with travel, etc...
You are right about simple job blowingup on you son needed patio door replaced when we got into it turned subfloor was rotting out he had floor trusses underneath the ends of them were starting to rot and we had to replace the rim joist in that area. Turned out good in the end but for someone who normally doesn't do things like that we had a whole weekend spent on the job plus he ended up putting in all new kitchen and dining area flooring which he was planning at a later date anyway.

/ Price to install a service door #28  
It's often plumbing repairs on 60 to 100 year old homes to be a crapshoot for me.

Just never know until you start... had one where the old cast iron waste line was bad to the basement... I mean how long can it take to change out a P-Trap?

(I'm sure acid drain cleaner the cause)

Rot and carpentry seem to be 50/50 with exposure and time...

/ Price to install a service door #29  
Sodium Hydroxide (Drano) and lead pipes or even copper pipes, don't get along well at all.

/ Price to install a service door #30  
Local hardware sells liquid drain acid in plastic bottles seal in heave plastic bag.

I have seen it turn cast iron into Swiss Cheese...

Of course no harm to plastic pipes but no 100% plastic pipes in these old neighborhoods...

Guess it is good for plumbers...