Price to install a service door

/ Price to install a service door #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
The door out onto the deck is original, 47 years old, the seal is getting bad, the thermopane window has lost it's seal, and the wood trim is getting pretty rotten, so I went to Lowes and looked at a new 32" X 80" steel exterior door. They only had one with the built-in shade, which I really don't want, but the ones without the shade, which is $100 cheaper, are special order, probably take six to ten weeks to get.
I asked if they could install it, the salesman said they could, and that installation was $299. That sounded a little high for an hour or two's work, it they know what they're doing, but fine, do it. He said they would have a guy come out and make sure there were no other problems and get back to me. The guy, nice fellow, came out the next day, looked it over, I pointed out that the threshold was partially rotted and he said they normally replace them anyway. I said I would replace the interior trim, all he needed to do was fix the threshold and put the door and casing in, I even already have the lockset and deadbolt.
So, the next morning, the salesman from Lowes calls and says that total for the door and installation will be ~$1180.
The door was $380, and the other $800 was for installation. He said normal install is $299, repairing the threshold was $250, modifying the header(???) was another $175 and the rest was for hauling away the old door. I don't know why the estimator said the header needed to me modified. there's nothing wrong up there, just a small gap (1/4") above the casing that has a couple of shims in it, no rot or anything.
I was pretty pissed, and just told him to forget it, I would do it myself.

Is that the going rate for a job like this, or am I just a cheap ass?

/ Price to install a service door #2  
That rate seems high to me. Just hire a local framing carpenter and pay them an agreed on rate for time and materials. Ask a contractor for a referral for a guy who wants to do a small side job.

/ Price to install a service door #3  
I'd ask them to show me why the header needs to be modified before complaining. I'd want to know what and why. Maybe they saw something. And $250 to repair/replace the threshold seems steep.

So I'd be comfortable paying X$$ for the door I want, plus $300 for the installation and threshold if it included the materials. Header is an unknown at this point.

However, I can confirm I am cheap, so I'd do it myself, in the spring, when it's warm. Brrrrr, you're supposed to get some lake effect here soon, aren't you?

/ Price to install a service door #4  
I'm with MossRoad on this. Seems pretty steep, however, if the header really does need replacing, that could be a lot of work depending on what's above the door and how it's framed. A pre hung door normally has a threshold already attached and it should be nothing more than removing the trim, cutting the nails holding the old door in-place, pulling out the old and putting in the new. Shim it up and nail it and put trim back on (with proper weather stripping). $300 seems a bit steep to me, however, there is travel time, etc so that much is probably reasonable.

However, I'm like MossRoad and would do it myself, when it's warm out. What I've seen where I am is that there are very few tradesmen that will do a good job and I have to go back and redo at least part of it, so why am I paying them for something I'll have to redo?

/ Price to install a service door #5  
About twenty years ago - I had to have the opening half of my porch door replaced. Full size glass - triple glazed - with wood frame. Replacement "door" plus labor - $400.

Nothing else had to be replaced. They were able to hang the new door on the existing hinge plates.

Why did it need replacement, you ask. I accidentally dropped a large ceramic plate onto our quarry tile floor in the kitchen. I was near enough to the glass door that when the plate "grenaded" it took out the glass. OOPS .........

BTW - the wife was less than pleased. OOPS is not what she said.

/ Price to install a service door #6  
$800 - 299 - 250 - 175 leaves $76 to haul the old door away? Really? Keep it. Use if for a work surface in the shop/barn/garage/basement.

And what kind of door are you looking at for $380? I've never paid more than $150, but I haven't looked in a lot of years.

/ Price to install a service door #7  
Today you need to be prepared for a shock when pricing anything. We just got a quote for replacing a steel door in a masonry (concrete block with face brick) wall - $4500.

/ Price to install a service door #8  
Lowes and Home Depot simply hire outside contractors and mark up their costs. Those installers aren't employee's, just subcontracted. Lowe's is making money off both ends of that deal with nothing invested.

/ Price to install a service door #9  
Get the door and do it yourself and save $800 for half a days work.

Or get the door and hire your own contractor and save about $400. Your call.

I do not envy contractors working on someones house, Too many unnkowns and variables when you start removing stuff to see what is actually going on. Dont know what they saw with the door header. Thats a question for them. But headers usually extend beyond the rough opening....so is there drywall work that will need removed and repatched/paintend to make that work? Same with threshold. Assuming they are talking about below the threshold and not the aluminum plate that comes with the door.

Like I said, I dont envy contractors. I do most of my own work on my own house. Interior doors, light fixtures, countertops, vanities, etc etc. Im sure many of us have. And how many times does a seemingly simple job turn into way more than bargained for

/ Price to install a service door #10  
Many time a simple job turns out to be not so simple and estimates padded...

When I have good craftsman I find it's better to have site prepped and pay for the time realizing even a 15 minute job can take far more with travel, etc...