Preventing rust after welding

/ Preventing rust after welding #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I need to do some minor welding on a galvanized tube fence gate. Yes I am aware of the issues welding galvanized metal. So what is the best way to keep things from rusting once I burn off the galvanizing where I welded it? I would prefer not to paint since that would mean needing to paint the whole gate for esthetics. If I must I will but is there anything else?

/ Preventing rust after welding #2  
Would a cold galvanize spray can do any good after cleaning it? Don't know myself, just throwing it out there for discussion.

/ Preventing rust after welding #3  
This is the best stuff I have ever used on galvanized material. Apply with a torch, and wire brush in. Acts a lot like solder.
Very pricey tho!

Attachments

• Galvanizing rod.jpg
    Galvanizing rod.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 628
   / Preventing rust after welding #4  
I need to do some minor welding on a galvanized tube fence gate. Yes I am aware of the issues welding galvanized metal. So what is the best way to keep things from rusting once I burn off the galvanizing where I welded it? I would prefer not to paint since that would mean needing to paint the whole gate for esthetics. If I must I will but is there anything else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
An acetylene torch and solder might do the trick since there is about 400 degrees difference in zinc and lead solder melting points.

/ Preventing rust after welding #5  
You can get the sticks of zinc like Shield Arc showed or there's a spray on zinc galvanizing by Crown which does a very good job. Most aren't worth what you pay for them, but the Crown brand does a good job.

/ Preventing rust after welding #6  
Oh shucks, just brush on Tremclad flat aluminum paint and in about a couple of weeks you'll never know it was welded.
Wire brush clean first and if you paint it on while the metal is still hot it will be 'baked on'.

/ Preventing rust after welding #7  
Cold gal spray paint is excellent. It is what is used and recommended by communications tower manufacturers for touch up.
As mentioned the Crown brand is very good although harder to find than Rustoleum, which also works almost as well.
I've used a lot of it over the last 25 years and always had great success with it.

/ Preventing rust after welding #8  
Cold gal spray paint is excellent. It is what is used and recommended by communications tower manufacturers for touch up.
As mentioned the Crown brand is very good although harder to find than Rustoleum, which also works almost as well.
I've used a lot of it over the last 25 years and always had great success with it.

Skyco, is this the one you are recommending? ::: White Knight Paints

/ Preventing rust after welding #9  
I'm not familiar with the White Knight product. The Rustolium is easier to find as Skyco said and is pretty good. I still think that Crown is about the best there is though outside of using a zinc stick applied with heat.

The biggest trick with Crown is always turning the can upside down and clearing the tip after using or it is guaranteed to clog the tip.:laughing:

Aervoe 7007 Cold Galvanizing Compound-Spray Can
http://www.capital.edu/15621.pdf

/ Preventing rust after welding #10  
I used to work for a company that specialized in galvanized farm gates. They'd weld the galvanized material, then they'd use the cold galvanized paint to touch up the weld area. It did work, and it lasted for some time.