PowerTrac PT422 or 2422

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #11  
hi kcook,
i am not happy with the position they mount ( to low ). also for about $120.00 you can purchase an after market tractor seat with spring suspension. i hope you reconsider the pt 425 vs. the pt 422. the torque on the kohler engine, per kohler, is 39.5 lbs while the 22 hp robin, as best i can recall, is around 33 lbs? also the kohler has power bore cylinders coated with nickel for virtually lifetime cyliner life. kohler also has a lifetime warranty on the ignition modules, not advertised but call and ask them, and the smart spark module. smartspark advances or retards the timeing accordingly and don't forget the canopy. i think all pt owners will agree that the canopy is equivalent to a rops. QUESTION; has anyone wired their pt for rear lights or aux. power? if so how did you wire it? i am thinking about running a direct lead from the battery to a rocker switch or two for 12 volt power. would this harm/destroy the stator and/or rectifier? could the electrical system handle the extra load and still charge the battery?

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422
Texastom, I was looking at the 2422 because of the 7 foot lift height and the Backhoe is a nice touch. I would rather have a Kohler engine as well!
KCook

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #13  
PTRich,

Thanks, again, for the info! I could find no numbers on my filter. Its just a blank white canister with a "Power Trac" logo on the side. Maybe they changed between when you got yours and we got ours.

I also checked with Power Trac, but was told there is no cross-reference and that the only source for the filters was Power Trac. (The same story I got from Robin/Subaru on their filter as well. You'd think these people are making big bucks on these filters or something that they're so protective about cross-referencing or naming their source!)

I'll check the NAPA 1762 against mine. If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the same number of the filter I use on my Ford 1910. (I'm at work, so I'm going on memory here.) Wouldn't that be convenient, though? Two filters the same on two different pieces of equipment?! Naah...surely I can't be that lucky!

Anyway, thanks for the assist. I'll let you know what I find once I get to NAPA. (And pick up a shutoff valve too!)

Brent

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #14  
Brent,
I found the number on the bottom stamped into the metal buy the rubber gasket, let me know how you make out.

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #15  
PTRich,

I checked my filter after removing the shrinkwrap. It, too, has the "1762" stamped in the metal. I also went to my local NAPA store and they had to order a 1762 filter in as they had none in stock.

After finally getting a chance to look at it, it is apparent that this is not the correct filter. The "1762" stamped on the filter must be a reference for some other purpose. The NAPA 1762 filter is smaller in height and diameter, and the seal is, of course, a smaller diameter. In short, this will not work. I suspect you will find (or have already found) this out (if you've had a chance to get your hands on one).

Just FYI.

Brent

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #16  
texastomd
Is it correct that you have the bigger bucket with teeth? If so, how has it performed? Is there any need to purchase the smaller bucket, in your opinion?

MossRoad

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #17  
Brent:
I know the owner of the NAPA buy me and when I have time I will bring the filter there and try to match. One thing to think about, the PT's use motor oil for hydralic fluid, perhaps it is a common oil filter?

PTRich

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #18  
I don't think so... most engines run 40 to 60 psi oil pressure. What is the pressure on the hydraulic system, around 2500 psi? I've seen engine oil filters balloon at 100 psi or there abouts, maybe less. Ford had a problem with the 4.6 modular engine. They recommended 5W-30 oil and people would run 10W-40 and 20W-50 and the added viscosity was enough to balloon ( and sometimes blow) the filter. I don't know what pressure they were pushing but I'm pretty sure it wasn't 2500 psi! :)

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #19  
unless you plan on using the bucket to pry rocks or stumps out of the ground get the 48" and add teeth. you can weld heavy gauge steel straps to add strength for, you know it, rocks and stumps. i added bucket hooks for lifting. also added a wellsag canopy. so far, 6 months, this machine hass functioned as avertised. my only complaint would be that @ 1600 lbs the pt-425 , bucket with teeth, bar tread's and 200 lbs of operator does not provide enough traction required to fully utilize the mighty kohler 25 hp and the added torque of 4wd. lastly for all you kohler owners; i highly recommend adding a canister air breather (approx $160-180 w/filter minder), finned oil cooler (approx $120-140) and pro plugs. your kohler will run 15-30 degrees cooler.

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #20  
Bigger bucket sounds great. One more question. I'm 6' tall with long legs. I sat on a JD4100 and my knees hit the steeering wheel. How does the power trac fill the ergonomic bill?

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg