PowerTrac PT422 or 2422

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
Are there any Owners of PowerTrac 2422 or Pt422 out there, I would like to hear your opinion on your units with the Subaru engines. Any problems, and is it quiet? Any problems starting them in cold weather (I live in Michigan)? ANy other comments?
KCook

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #2  
hi,
i bought a poertrac pt-425 in aug. and have been very pleased with its abilities. i would recommend the pt-425 mainly for the kohler engine ( more service centers ) and also for the canopy ( actually a rops). i also purchased the 48" 10 cu. ft. bucket with teethe, 60" mower, post hole digger head w/ 6" auger, arm rest ($100.00 but recommend you don't) and bar tires ( $100.00 lovem and easy on the turf). this really is a great machine for homeowner/s. check there web site for landscape shows as they will bring it with them, if you pre-pay, and you save a few hundred bucks shipping. if you have any questions feel free to ask.
t

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422
t, why not the arm chair set? I was thinking of getting one. I am glad to hear the bar tires don't mess up the lawn I had not looked at them!
KCook

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #4  
Hi Ken,

I have a PT422 with the Subaru engine. I've only had it for about a month now. We've used it some, but not steady by any means.

As far as the engine goes, no problems (though one shouldn't expect any this early). Texastomd is correct about there being more service centers for the Kohler engine, though.

I do not like the machine's layout for service. The engine's oil filter is hard (though not impossible) to get at, as is the hydraulic filter (though again, not impossible — just more difficult than it should be). Also, there is no shutoff valve between the fuel tank and the carburetor as Subaru recommends in their engine manual. The in-line fuel filter is a small plastic housed filter like you could buy at K-mart. I don't remember exactly how the Kohler engine sits in the frame, but I suspect it has the same "problems" based on the overall design/layout of the machine.

I also don't like Power Trac's "in-house" branded filters. There is no information on a cross to more common ones. You either have to guess and experiment or stock up on theirs. I haven't priced them yet, so I don't know how bad they'll be. I just know someday I'll need one and won't have one! And then I'll have to wait to get one shipped in.

Is it quiet? In a word, NO! But then, neither was the PT425 (Kohler engine) I used when we visited Power Trac. Actually, what appears to be a whining noise from the hydraulics is more bothersome than the engine noise. Since the exhaust is behind (and to the side of) the operator, it's not as annoying as you might think. Hearing protection is advised for either engine, in any case — especially if its used for any extended time frame.

Our setup is about the same as texastomd, except for the different engine and the 6" auger. (We got the optional canopy, arm rests, and bar tires as well.) We also got both buckets (smaller digging bucket with teeth and larger soft material handling bucket), 60" finish mower, 48" "brush-hog"-type mower, and the forks.

So far we've only used the mower and brush-hog, but I hope to try out the buckets in the next week or so. Forks will probably not be used for a month or so.

As far as the mowing goes, the finish mower works as well as our old Ariens and Cub Cadets did plus it allows us to mow more than they did since we can go places the others couldn't. The brush-hog also works quite well. We've cleared out a few small areas (a few hundred square feet at a time) just to test it out, but I've got some trees to cut down to open up a bit more to get where we want to end up. Probably sometime in the next two to three weeks we plan on brush-hogging a couple of acres of open field that have been allowed to grow up over the last five years. Some of the area is a bit "soupy", so it'll be a good test.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my two cents worth. Hope this is of some use.

Brent

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422
Brent, is the brush Hog good for high grass only or will it do small brush as well! I am looking at the 2422 because of the higher lift 72 inchs and I can think of alot of things I can do with the backhoe! How is the forks?
KCook

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #6  
Did you call power-trac about the whining noise? I have a pt425 with no whining noise, usualy that is a sign of a partialy clogged hydralic filter. My tractor developed this noise and I called them, they said it is not uncommon in new tractors to have a small peice of slag clog the filter partialy and will happen the first 10 hours if it does. They were willing to talk me thru changeing the filter if I did'nt feel comfortable doing it. The tractor comes with an extra filter and hose for bleeding the pump. I thought the filter was easy to change. I changed the fuel filter to a metal one the same day I got the tractor. I thought it was weird that a machine built so heavy would have a plastic filter until I bought one for our John Deere Gator. It always took a metal filter but they have changed it to a small plastic one. I now buy after market ones. I also put a gas shut off valve on my tractor.

I am very happy with my tractor so far, I have had it for 9 months now.

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #7  
kcook:

I'll let you know about the brush-hog and high grass in the next week or so. Maybe as early as this weekend. As I mentioned in the earlier message, I'm getting ready to attack an area that has grown up over the last five years. Some of that is 4-5 feet tall plus there are small trees and bushes, etc.

I too would have liked a higher lift, but I've got an older Ford 1910 with bucket and backhoe. So, for most things, I'm covered now. I like the maneuverability of the Power Trac and the many options. Even just taking the backhoe off the Ford and putting on the box blade is a pain. I guess I'm just too impatient!

I haven't used the forks yet. Again, I've got some things I'll be moving in the next week or so that should give me a better idea how useful they'll be. I'll update when I've used them some.

Brent

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #8  
PTRich,

No, I did not call Power Trac about the whine. Thank's for the head's up. I'll probably change the filter based on your advice.

How did you add the fuel shutoff? What valve did you use? I planned on this eventually, but haven't looked into what's needed or available space, etc. No sense reinventing the wheel, so...if you have any info on what you used and how you installed it, I'd appreciate that as well.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Brent

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #9  
Brent
I got an inline shutoff from napa, thats also where I got my filter. I called for hydralic filters from power trac and they said they had cross numbers for after market filters but the sales man couldnt find them. If I get them I will post them.

PTRich

/ PowerTrac PT422 or 2422 #10  
Brent
I did a little checking with numbers on my hydrlic filter and found out who the manufacture is. It was NAPA. Napa part number 1762, I will go there and check.