Power train question

/ Power train question #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
Last year, one of the members - believe it was old grind - posted an interesting bit of info "Understand that a great many T-M parts are off the shelf items. Powertrain components are in this category....."

I own an older T5C with a new Kohler Command engine and a recently rebuilt Dana44 rear end, but I'm wondering about those other drive train parts, specifically;
Hydrostatic transmission p/n 640645
Gear pump p/n 66045
Torque motor p/ 64003

Would like to understand .....does this mean that those components could be purchased from others sources than TQ, or only that rebuild parts or kits could be found elsewhere?

From what I can see, the first 2 above look like a single unit ?

Thanks

/ Power train question #2  
On my T6 all the hydraulics are Eaton or Char-Lynn (division of Eaton) and by finding the model numbers on the components I've been able to find literature on the Eaton website for parts and repair for everything except the power steering unit. The basic models of all the components are catalog items but if you decode the letters at the end of the number they are "non catalog items". This probably means that Terramite spec'ed out certain features such as port locations, input shaft splines, control levers, etc. This doesn't mean an off the shelf item won't work, it just may require some creativity to get things hooked up. On the other hand finding the manufacturers part numbers for rebuild parts gives you more flexibility in finding parts and probably cheaper than going through Terramite.

/ Power train question
On my T6 all the hydraulics are Eaton or Char-Lynn (division of Eaton) and by finding the model numbers on the components I've been able to find literature on the Eaton website for parts and repair for everything except the power steering unit. The basic models of all the components are catalog items but if you decode the letters at the end of the number they are "non catalog items". This probably means that Terramite spec'ed out certain features such as port locations, input shaft splines, control levers, etc. This doesn't mean an off the shelf item won't work, it just may require some creativity to get things hooked up. On the other hand finding the manufacturers part numbers for rebuild parts gives you more flexibility in finding parts and probably cheaper than going through Terramite.

Many thanks Dart1917. That's helpful. Like most owners, I wouldn't want to be spending money needlessly, if parts could be replaced or repaired in other ways should TQ fail. But if it meant losing the machine, it would be worth it (to me) to get any essentials on hand. Sounds to me from what you say that the steering unit is in that category? And possibly only it?

/ Power train question #4  
Looking through the literature list on Eatons website I couldn't find my exact model number. There are a couple that look the same but I'm not sure what any differences are. I was going to email Eaton and see if they could tell me what literature would work for my unit but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm sure parts are available, just have to get the right parts list.

/ Power train question #5  
Someone on another forum posted that the power steering units were from a Harley Davidson golf cart. I cannot confirm this.

/ Power train question #6  
It was t o g that offered a workaround/replacement for the older T5C 'offset' steering setup albeit w/o knowing any other source for that OEM nightmare :) Others had found/reported that auto components can be subbed. The pump & drive systems are 3 parts as said. The charge pump section, the main pump, and the 'torquemotor', all of which can be serviced/replaced(!) separately.

Agree with Dart1917 that most components are 'off the shelf' and just need to be identified by other applications or part numbers.

"List Terramite part substitutions here" is my suggestion for a thread title (sticky?) where we can share such discoveries. I only ever a PM away, too. ;)

/ Power train question
It was t o g that offered a workaround/replacement for the older T5C 'offset' steering setup albeit w/o knowing any other source for that OEM nightmare :) Others had found/reported that auto components can be subbed. The pump & drive systems are 3 parts as said. The charge pump section, the main pump, and the 'torquemotor', all of which can be serviced/replaced(!) separately.

Agree with Dart1917 that most components are 'off the shelf' and just need to be identified by other applications or part numbers.

"List Terramite part substitutions here" is my suggestion for a thread title (sticky?) where we can share such discoveries. I only ever a PM away, too. ;)

I think the suggestion by t o g is excellent and should be implemented. "List Terramite part substitutions here" would be an invaluable resource for us all. Anyone willing to kick this off? Preferably someone who has been around for awhile and knows this stuff better than most of us . . .

/ Power train question
I think the suggestion by t o g is excellent and should be implemented. "List Terramite part substitutions here" would be an invaluable resource for us all. Anyone willing to kick this off? Preferably someone who has been around for awhile and knows this stuff better than most of us . . .

Sincere thanks to t o g on behalf of us all for opening the suggested thread where we can list parts substitutions. Let's use it!

Also, might I suggest/request that the member Stendek (not sure if I got that right) who mentioned a possible connection of our steering columns to golf carts - which sounds
reasonable - might research or share any leads to the forum where that was mentioned so we could possibly add a much needed and much discussed item to the
replacement parts list. Thank you.