Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #11  
I decided to fix my 1994 t5c -same trouble no power steering. I put a gauge between pump and steering box (tee'd in) yep no pressure, I found a good (and free) repair manual on the Eaton site. Just get your model number that is stamped on the motor side flange. I now have the tranmission on the work bench, disassembled it and found that the metal relief seat pushed through the alumimum threads of the adaptor plate. I can't see anyway of fixing it except buying the plate. Heard it costs 400. I really have to get the thing working because Sandy created a mess here. Have stumps and a inground pool to remove and fill in in the spring..

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #12  
I have a post in the hydraulics forum about this. I too have a 1994 T5C and I just verified that I only have 20-40psi off of that pump. I too was wondering if my issue would be repairable, or if I need to just get the plate. Did you pull the entire trans out, if so do you feel this is easier than trying to take the adapter plate out with everything installed? Terramite service guy told me 20 minute job, just loosen rear pump, loosen plate and slide out.
Do you have any hydrostatic trans or rear pump issues? TM told me they sell the plate for 400, the plate with the hydro trans for 1400, and I did not get a price on the entire assembly.
Any chance you have pics of any of this you could post up? I will be digging into mine in the next week. Might just order the plate tomorrow, I too would really like to get mine going.

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #13  
oh, and what are the chances we could buy this plate, or the whole assembly from someone other than TM and save money? I'm curious if the whole assembly is an off the shelf part, or if TM bolts everything together.

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #14  
bd53bz2, can you link us to that Eaton repair manual? T-M's shows no moving parts except the gerotor assy and a drive coupling. I just can't get it out of my head that plate repair might be possible with some tig-welding and a bit of machining. They said it's about the plate itself, right?

cstamm81, if expedience warrants replacing the plate, I'd like to see what can be learned from one that's been pulled.

Anyone following this can see more here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/267636-no-power-steering-terramite-5.html

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C
I decided to fix my 1994 t5c -same trouble no power steering. I put a gauge between pump and steering box (tee'd in) yep no pressure, I found a good (and free) repair manual on the Eaton site. Just get your model number that is stamped on the motor side flange. I now have the tranmission on the work bench, disassembled it and found that the metal relief seat pushed through the alumimum threads of the adaptor plate. I can't see anyway of fixing it except buying the plate. Heard it costs 400. I really have to get the thing working because Sandy created a mess here. Have stumps and a inground pool to remove and fill in in the spring..

From your description it sounds like you may have found the cause of a problem that effects a number of Terrmites.

Is it possible that you could make some pictures of the part that is damaged and post them in this forum?

I am particularly interested because I have a T5C with the same power steering problem. I have a Bridgeport miller at my disposal and am an experienced repair machinist. If you like I could come to you to see what you have learned and make photos and perhaps let you know what I can add to a possible repair. None of us is looking forward to replacing an expensive part if it can be avoided. I would post photos to share with the others who are interested as well.

Attachments

• 93 Terramite T5c DSC_0335.jpg
    93 Terramite T5c DSC_0335.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 5,631
   / Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #16  
OK guys, here it goes...
My machine is unique because it came with a factory diesel. You have to verify the trans yiu have. the assembly number is stamped on the flange next to the firewall. (seen from the ground)
Mine has;
70142RHR model is 70142, R is right hand rotation (because it is a diesel)
E940907GD Serial 1994,Sept09 ,day 7.

When I tested mine I also had a 1/4" ball valve in line with the gauge, so I could close off the flow. Normally, the fluid passes through the steering box when not turning.
So, the 20-40psi might be right. Should run up to 200 to 300 psi under load.(valve closed)

I removed my trans just to make life easier, and to work in the garage. It's no big deal to remove it, you have to drain the oil in either case and its only three more hoses and couple of bolts.

I'm a ex welder by trade. I said no way to fix it, because of the way the relief bore was drilled and tapped. It was stepped drilled and tapped. 2" in was a smaller thread diameter to accept the threaded seat. The larger outer thread is for the plug holding the spring etc. My seat pushed the alumimum threads out into the return galley. There is no way that I can see fixing the bottom of this bore, Even a helicoil can't be used.

On buying else where... Eaton wants u to use their service centers. on the site I used my ZIP and nothing came close to here in the northeast. I bit the bullet this am and ordered from TM. U guys are lucky, because the diesel one is $100 more!!!

For mine, here is the links:

Parts
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/dev_216878.pdf

Repair
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/dev_216879.pdf

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #17  
From your description it sounds like you may have found the cause of a problem that effects a number of Terrmites.

Is it possible that you could make some pictures of the part that is damaged and post them in this forum?

I am particularly interested because I have a T5C with the same power steering problem. I have a Bridgeport miller at my disposal and am an experienced repair machinist. If you like I could come to you to see what you have learned and make photos and perhaps let you know what I can add to a possible repair. None of us is looking forward to replacing an expensive part if it can be avoided. I would post photos to share with the others who are interested as well.

'TMC' I'll defer machining & request for pulled parts to you since you're closer to the other guys. We might be on the same page as to cleaning up one bore/cutter at a time. With or without welding-up, if you D&T to a new diameter for the 'seat' one might make/thread a new piece or bushing to fit it. btw: I'd like to think the 'adapter plate' is the same regardless of trans model & I'd still like to help owners in this jam knowing my day, or anyone's, to need the 'fix' may come too....
-jon

Last edited:
   / Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #18  
Got some pics as requested.....

P1100004.JPG

Relief valve assembly ...threaded seat is to the right

P1100006.JPG
Picture of problem area

P1100008.JPG
Adapter plate in question georotor side
P1100009.JPG
Look closely, can see threads of seat in return passage
P1100010.JPG
How parts are inserted...

P1100011.JPG

Trans in vise. Just another note; If u were to try it in the machine , the bolts for the adaptor plate also hold the backplate of the trans. Horizontally u would drop it

Hope this all helps,
Tom

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #19  
Has anyone had any luck finding any other place to buy this adapter plate other than tm? my father in laws t5c has the same problem. thanks.

/ Power Steering Issue Terramite T5C #20  
Here's some more pix of another housing that is damaged

this pump had less than 1 hr on it.........the customer bought a new complete pump, installed their-selves, then one of the drive motors locked up while it was on the maiden voyage
We fixed the drive motor (bearings came apart internally) then yanked the pump and found this

contamination from the drive motor got stuck in the charge pump section and main piston section......when the customer changed the pump they should have yanked all the motors and freshened them up with new seal kits (they would've found the root of the problem was actually a bad hyd wheel motor)

You guys should proceed with caution when working on these units cuz they are working directly with the drive motors and share the same oil back and forth

Many hyd shops will not work on hydrostat pumps without doing the corresponding drive motors to cover their butts

Attachments

• pump 001.JPG
    pump 001.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 404
  • pump 002.JPG
    pump 002.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 473
  • pump 004.JPG
    pump 004.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 590