Power failure

/ Power failure #11  
Unless the pump is running when the power flickers, its not likley to be the problem. You may find its not voltage spikes that is the problem but under voltage. Under voltage (low voltage) is hard on motors.

/ Power failure #12  
Jeff
When my neighbors have lost water pumps because of lighting it was from a direct hit on the wellhead. Which caused a lot of arching and burning of the pump, casing and it's wiring. They also lost some items inside of the house by voltage surging back through the wiring into the house wiring.

When I had my pump installed a few years back a surge suppressor was installed to stop this type of lighting strike from back feeding into house.
I hope I never have to find out if it works. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I have lived here for 30 years and never had a problem inside of house. About 10 years ago the transformer on the pole that supplies my electricity took a direct hit. The fuses on the transformer blew and the transformer had to be replaced. It happened as I was starting my morning coffee pot. Sure did light of the sky around my house. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif The noise was like a bomb going off in the house.

There are many things that can cause a pump to go bad.

Cycling on and off to often.
Pressure tank that is water logged or bladder had ruptured.
Pressure switch not mounted close enough to pressure tank.
Pressure switch set to high.
Unequal voltage on power lines.
Loads on main distribution panel not being equal.
Low voltage.
Wrong gage wire feed line to pump.
Also some that I've not heard about.

Is your well new or has it lost a pump before?

Here is a thread that had a lot of information about pressure and flow for a water system. Click <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=34583&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=water%20pressure&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=34583>HERE</A> to check it out.

/ Power failure #13  
Jeff, a couple of questions.........Have you taken voltage reads at you main panel? Has the power co. come out and checked all the conections at the transformer and service entrance? Do you have secondary underground wires? Have your neighbors had any equipment or appliance damage during this same time period? Have any of your neighbors had any flickering? Any recent lightening or storms? How old is your wiring? Do you have mechanical connectors or compression connectors on your sec. wires? Pump properly grounded? ............let us know......maybe we can help............mark