Power Beyond for log splitter

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I've read many of the old posts on the Power Beyond (PB) function. There seems to be conflicting ideas, so I want to double check before hooking up 3pt log splitter (Northern Tool Powerhorse) to the PB port from my backhoe. The splitter's valve is open center, so I assume it will properly route the flow back through the Power Beyond circuit. Can someone confirm they've used an open center splitter on their Kubota PB with no problems?

Also- has anyone successfully connected non-Faster brand quick connectors to Faster HNV on their PB port?

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #2  
My splitter is a Split-Fire connected to the power beyond on my tractor. It is open center and works very well.

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #5  
Used my old Powerhorse splitter with my BX25 via the power beyond connections for the backhoe. No problems at all. I have since gone to a standalone splitter, but not due to any operational issues with the Powerhorse running off of the tractor's hydraulics. Go for it.

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #6  
My splitter is a Split-Fire connected to the power beyond on my tractor. It is open center and works very well.

run my split fire off loader valves on my kubotas. works fine. hours at a time too.

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #7  
.....The splitter's valve is open center, so I assume it will properly route the flow back through the Power Beyond circuit......
...............Also- has anyone successfully connected non-Faster brand quick connectors to Faster HNV on their PB port?

I agree that PB is not well understood. PB is really just another hydraulic power outlet (not a return)

If you connect the splitter valve's supply and return ports into the PB circuit, then your 3-point hitch may drop when the splitter cycles. Most people don't care about that but if you use the 3-point to hold the splitter up, that's not too handy.

If your splitter valve has a PB port too you can preserve the 3-point function and still connect the splitter valve into the PB circuit on your tractor. Power from the FEL valve's PB hose would come to the splitter valve, the splitter valve's PB port would send power back to the PB circuit (so it could still power the 3-point hitch), and the exhaust hose from the splitter valve (it's 5th hose) can either tee into the exhaust line from your FEL valve or can go directly to the reservoir.

There are several styles of quick-disconnects, and each manufacturer makes several different types. There's a good page here showing the styles commonly available. Kubota uses Parker 60 Series - which are ISO 7241-1 Series B, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. In quick-disconnects, as with many other things, you get exactly what you pay for.

Last edited:
   / Power Beyond for log splitter
Thanks for the replies. Issue with 3 pt dropping during the cycle is something I was wondering about. I went ahead and ordered everything so by next week I should be splitting wood.

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #9  
If you connect the splitter valve's supply and return ports into the PB circuit,
then your 3-point hitch may drop when the splitter cycles. Most people don't care about that but if
you use the 3-point to hold the splitter up, that's not too handy.

I have never seen a splitter valve with PB Out, but Prince now makes one with 2 spools
and PB, so both levers are detented and the cylinder can fully retract AND EXTEND
automatically. Cool.

The OUT on the common splitter valves (no PB) should not be pressurized to more than
500psi, so installing the valve upstream of the 3PH valve can be problematic if the 3PH
is used to lift anything heavy. If the 3PH is only lifting the splitter, it is prob
not seeing more than 500psi. I don't see why a raised 3PH will suddenly drop if
an upstream splitter valve (with or w/o PB) is used. The 3PH position control valve
should keep the 3PH at fixed height.

/ Power Beyond for log splitter #10  
Yes that is what I essentially did.... Later I added rear remotes but thats another story, Plug it in to your BH loop and you'll be all set...

Like DFKRUG, mentioned, I added a double detent valve last year. The Powerhorse is a decent splitter but holding the valve the entire time sucks, you are commited to the splitter until you finish each stroke. Often the log will split completely , even though the wedge is only half way thru. you then have to hold the valve to cycle the wedge completely to get the next log on... Northern tool sells a double detent splitter valve that is almost a direct bolt on, (one mount hole doesn't line up) This way the wedge makes the full travel with out holding the valve the entire time...Lets you grab the next log etc while the wedge completes its travel. Much more efficient.