Posthole Digger Posthole Digger storage / attaching

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #11  
I have a Branson 2901, just moved and haven't found my books for my tractor. My son has always hooked up the Post Hole digger. He's grown and I'm still here. Help

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #12  
I hang mine from the swing set currently but need to find a better way. It is a complete PITA to hook up, even the PTO shaft is difficult. I usually start thinking about buying a piece of construction equipment and getting rid of the tractor on those days. The last time it took over an hour to get the auger on. Changing out attachments on construction equipment is a breeze compared to 3 points on tractors.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #13  
Lots of times it is because the construction equipment is well used and well greased. Purchasing it and letting it set as a tractor does, many of those things begin to become more difficult as well.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #14  
My PHD has a loop on top of the boom. I use a metal frame with a hook that engages the loop. Hanging from the loop most of the weight is supported while I hook to the three point. After the three point is secured, the tractor lifts the PHD off the hook and away we go. If your PHD doesn't have a loop... a U-bolt works well too.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #15  
Lots of times it is because the construction equipment is well used and well greased. Purchasing it and letting it set as a tractor does, many of those things begin to become more difficult as well.

Probably true but that wasn't really what I meant. The 3 point has not really changed much over the last 50+ years. It's an antiquated design that was not carried over to other equipment for obvious reasons. You can put a hydraulic auger on a skid steer in a couple of minutes with little if any strain or beating. Honestly I'd rather switch out attachments on a telehandler, skid steer, or excavator than a 3 point on my tractor. Between the pain of changing attachments and no down pressure I am really not sold on the 3 point hitch design.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #16  
Takes me about 6-7 minutes, and I have about the largest PTO driven PHD that there is. A Land Pride PD35. You really just need to have it stored in a fashion that is easy to work with and that you have to hold up basically no weight when attaching on & off.

Attachments

• PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 402
  • P4050013.JPG
    P4050013.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 366
   / Posthole Digger storage / attaching #17  
i been pulling PTO shaft off track and gear box, putting in on a shelf
then pulling auger bit off, and putting it on a shelf
then pulling the gear box off, and putting it on a shelf
then finally pulling off the frame work and storing that on a shelf.

though i have found a trick...
a cherry picker / engine hoist. works out nicely... wait for a good sale for around 100 to 130 bucks.
picture is from... Torin Big Red 1 Ton Folding Shop Crane — Model# T31002 | Engine Hoists| Northern Tool + Equipment
144848_400x400.jpg

lets me keep everything attached, and lets me lay it on the floor, then pick it back up off floor and put it back on tractor.

i've thought about going with a cheap truck crane or something near it
and mounting it on a 4x4 or something to set it higher...
pictures is from... Northern Industrial Tools Pickup Truck Crane — 1000-Lb. Capacity | Truck Cranes| Northern Tool + Equipment
141228_2000x2000.jpg

have tried a chain hoist. but trying to pull everything around to get things attached to tractor *ughs* still strong enough, to man handle things vs dealing with the chain host and hanging it from a rafter.
Northern Industrial Tools Pickup Truck Crane — 1000-Lb. Capacity | Truck Cranes| Northern Tool + Equipment

been tempted to do something like MtnViewRanch with 2 posts in ground and another board across the top of them. but no good spot in shed or outside. been tempted so many times. and use of a chain host to most likely a simple cheap ratchet strap, ya tie down things on your trailer with. to hang PHD from.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #18  
What u say is exactly why I cobbled this together in a couple hours with scrap 2x4s laying around.

Simple A frame with saw horse joints at the top. The top bar isn't attached, just laying in the saw horse joints. Once hooked up, I raise the PHD and remove the top board and drive off.

It's on casters so very easy to roll up to 3pt. It has just enough auger bit weight to balance it and hold it in place.

Not the prettiest but functional.

The other thing I've seen folks do is just drill it into the ground and leave it half burried. I didn't like that option :)

HTH

I made something similar to this but mounted it on a pallet so I can pick it up with my forks and move it.
The 2x4 cross piece on mine is removable so after I hook up to the 3 pt. I lift slightly and pull the 2x4 out
then drive off to go to work.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/292640-storing-post-hole-auger.html#post3567408

Last edited:
   / Posthole Digger storage / attaching #19  
I love my quick hitch, makes the 3pt easy to deal with for hitching things up without getting off the tractor unless you have PTO or hydraulics to deal with. Unfortunately it's just not compatible with a PHD due to the geometry involved. The 3pt hitch is a great design, but it was designed solely for the purpose of increasing tractor traction when pulling a plow. It wasn't designed with the primary purpose of being easy or universal.

/ Posthole Digger storage / attaching #20  
Here's a nice stand for a PHD. Not sure if its something fabbed up by the owner or if it was purchased with the PHD, but looks to be adjustable for different models or to allow it to align with various size tractors I would guess.

Not much material there, should be easy to duplicate. I think I would have made those 4x4s a little wider for more stability, at least as wide as possible on the front so as not to interfere with the rear tires. The rear 4x4 under the auger could easily be a foot or more wider.

Since this is a CL listing (not mine) I have included one of the photos in my post so when the CL Ad is gone there will still be some image here. But there are multiple photos from all angles in the CL post to evaluate building your own from.

PHD Stand 1.jpg

P.T.O Posthole Auger / Frontier

Edit: did some searching and it turns out this stand is made by Rotomec. Here's a link to their manual which covers the stand, the optional downforce kit, and their positioning handle.
Didn't find a price though.

http://www.rotomec.com/usa/pdf/Rotomec USA PHD Accessories (US) 10-2008.pdf

Last edited: