Post your Branson at work. Picture thread

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #111  
Moved a little bit of dirt today while reworking the angle of the access ramp on the remote propriety. It was a bit too steep and the trailer kept dragging the tongue when loaded.

Had to loosen up the very compact and hard clay with the homemade backhoe first, then move the loose dirt with the tractor. Of course, found a couple more rocks along the way.

View attachment 755233 View attachment 755234 View attachment 755235
Is there a thread on the homemade Backhoe?? Awesome 👏

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #112  
Is there a thread on the homemade Backhoe?? Awesome 👏
No. I've never started one. Mostly because it would be nice to have pictures from the beginning, when I was like 10 or 12 years old, to see the entire process and at the time, digital cameras were very expensive to get. So not many pictures from the early stages.

This thing has been through a couple of face lifts, updates and a lot of warranty work. Good thing it has lifetime warranty. 🤣

This is the current status of it. When I get it back home again, I will pull all the wheels out and paint the rims and adjust the track tension. Oh, and I would like to cast a concrete front weight that is shaped like a nice bumper and get rid of that ugly concrete block I put there temporarily.

IMG_20220719_115753.jpg
IMG_20220719_115823.jpg

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #113  
Did you build it from the ground up or did you start with something like a used Airport push tug and add the hoe??

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #114  
Did you build it from the ground up or did you start with something like a used Airport push tug and add the hoe??
I built it completely from scratch with the help of my dad of course. It was the project where I learned about fabrication, machining, welding, problem solving, reserve engineering, etc.

The chassis is built using 4" I beam all around. Things like the two differentials, gearbox, steering box, radiator, some hydraulic stuff were bought in the scrapyard back when deals could be made. The backhoe arms however, we had someone cut the plate for us and it was just a matter of welding it together.

The engine is a Kubota D640 with around 16 HP. I would like to either turbo it to squeeze a couple more HP or upgrade it with something else. I actually bought a generator with a 25 HP engine to do exactly that as I was told the generator head was bad. Turns out it was an easy fix and I got a solid running 10kW generator that has been more handy than I ever imagined.

It has an hydraulic motor powering a 4 speed transmission, which is then connected to the two differentials, making it a 6x4 vehicle.

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #115  
I don't know whether to post this here, or on the "What have you done... " thread?

Small mowing job for a very sweet old retired school teacher today. Lots of trees, some rolling hills. Poor lady hadn't been able to find anyone willing to mow it for 2 years. She stumbled on my ad.

I tried to get as far underneath her trees as I could...

20220723_101547.jpg

20220723_101544.jpg

20220723_103100.jpg

20220723_115455.jpg

This was loaded up and set to go on Thursday night, so I'd have more time today to get there and back.

20220722_152203.jpg

Headed out to a different customer tomorrow, says his weeds are "6 feet tall"....

We sure have had a wet spring this year.

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #116  
Very good of you; what year is that SuperDuty?

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #117  
Very good of you; what year is that SuperDuty?
It's a 2012. Bought it brand new in Nov of '12. Just barely turned over 75K miles. 6.2L gas V8, 3.73 gears. It pulls the tractor stuff very well, that's right at 9K pounds trailer weight in the picture.

It has to strain more pulling the 34' fifth wheel trailer. That's the load that makes me want the new 7.3L gas and a crew cab dually with about a 4.56 gear. If Ford would put that drivetrain in their F-450, I'd probably spring for one. But all you can get in the 450 is the diesel.

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #118  
That might be my favorite generation; I've never owned a Ford truck, but the front end really reminds me of the old Ford Louisville trucks that used to be everywhere here.

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #119  
I had 2 separate sites to clear from one customer. He said his weeds were 6' tall...

Went to the first site, not so bad, no 6' weeds, how bad can it be?

20220724_065241.jpg

20220724_064826.jpg

Things were going well, and then this happened...

20220724_080540.jpg

Lurking in the tall grass. The bane of mankind. There is a special punishment in the afterlife for those who toss wire and cable out into fields. Took me a half hour to get it out, since I was smart (not) enough to not bring any cutters, hacksaw or other.

Other than that, only broke one shear pin on a piece of angle iron laying in the grass.

Second site,

20220724_142342.jpg

This stuff played heck with my radiator and coolers all afternoon. Sometimes I'd get 3 or 4 passes around, and sometimes I'd be lucky to get one, before I had to stop and blow out the radiator and coolers. Made for a very long day.
20220724_142734.jpg

20220724_143854.jpg

Just using my FEL and bucket to push it down and drive over it all. Sure am glad I leave them on. Saved me several times with rocks, dirt mounds, old tires, lurking in the grass.

20220724_144514.jpg

I found the tall weeds. These were 8 feet plus, taller than the cab of my tractor, which is just over 7 feet.

20220724_150802.jpg

Just pushing them over and mowing them down. That's a big dirt mound half way back in the center. Didn't even know it was there until I ran the bucket into it. But it's all done now.

20220724_193212.jpg

20220724_193542.jpg

/ Post your Branson at work. Picture thread #120  
Great work Slim! Nice and smooth.

Ahhh gotta love finding some "goodies" when doing outside work. 🤦‍♂️ Luckily it didn't wrap the cable too badly.

Some time ago I was tilling for someone else and caught a solid 5 ft of goat fencing on the tiller that someone left in the middle of the field hiding in the middle of the brush. That was a fun one too.