Post your BBQ And meals

/ Post your BBQ And meals #11  
Brisket has notably always been one of the most difficult cuts of meat to get right on the pit...
...There's been hundreds of TV competition shows and youtube videos where many of the best pit cooks reveal some of their secrets...but just until recently a couple of the more famous brisket cooks have given up a trade secret to getting brisket right every time...That secret is beef tallow and it's use in the wrap...

just google "beef tallow brisket" for some of the revealing youtube videos...

FWIW...the "hang test" I mentioned in an earlier reply is...a slice of brisket should hang / drape over a finger etc. without falling apart...but should pull apart without pulling it off the finger...
The best brisket I ever cooked, was coated in sugar, and placed in a baking bag overnight in the frige. It was then quickly rinsed, patted dry, then sprayed with olive oil and given a generous application of dry rubb. Cooked on the egg at 250 until it reached 200 degrees. I used Mesquite, Blackjack Oak and Pecan wood for the smoke flavor.

Rule #1: Use the best grade of brisket you can buy; prime if available, nothing less than choice.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #12  
The best brisket I ever cooked, was coated in sugar, and placed in a baking bag overnight in the frige. It was then quickly rinsed, patted dry, then sprayed with olive oil and given a generous application of dry rubb. Cooked on the egg at 250 until it reached 200 degrees. I used Mesquite, Blackjack Oak and Pecan wood for the smoke flavor.

Rule #1: Use the best grade of brisket you can buy; prime if available, nothing less than choice.
I learned how to smoke fish and seafood at a very young age...learned all about the different flavors different wood yielded...back then "buttonwood" (black mangrove) gave most fish the best smoked flavor...but it became illegal to cut mangrove so pecan and citrus (orange, grapefruit etc) became the prevalent woods for smoking seafood (on the west coast of FL anyway)...

At any rate brisket has been my obsession for about the last 10 years...I've watched every top tier competition brisket bbq TV show and video there is...

I agree about the grade of beef...the hardest thing thing to do is getting consistent results once you're happy with the outcome...getting a consistent preparation technique and result is hard when still looking for the right flavor combo in the rub/marinate etc...

Chicken and ribs etc. are relatively easy to master getting consistent results because of a much shorter cooking time required...

/ Post your BBQ And meals #13  
Man, I simply do not have the patience for these long recipes. For me, BBQ is a thick steak, 3 minutes on each side. My daughter and I used to call it “serious blood”, and she loved rare just a much as me.

Now she is vegan. Where did I go wrong?

/ Post your BBQ And meals #14  
I learned how to smoke fish and seafood at a very young age...learned all about the different flavors different wood yielded...back then "buttonwood" (black mangrove) gave most fish the best smoked flavor...but it became illegal to cut mangrove so pecan and citrus (orange, grapefruit etc) became the prevalent woods for smoking seafood (on the west coast of FL anyway)...

At any rate brisket has been my obsession for about the last 10 years...I've watched every top tier competition brisket bbq TV show and video there is...

I agree about the grade of beef...the hardest thing thing to do is getting consistent results once you're happy with the outcome...getting a consistent preparation technique and result is hard when still looking for the right flavor combo in the rub/marinate etc...

Chicken and ribs etc. are relatively easy to master getting consistent results because of a much shorter cooking time required...
Try my #2 rubb recipe. It's a good all purpose rubb; I have a couple or regular "customers" who come around with empty containers when ever I make a batch.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #15  
I just prepped this for tonight. Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/big-green-egg-bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-poppers/

This is a must have appetizer, especially if you have folks over.

The first time I made these I put a few in my toaster oven to test out with my lunch. They were meh at best, not sure what the fuss was about with these things.

I put the rest on the grill that evening and they were nothing short of incredible.

I don’t cook these in pans like pictured in the recipe. That seems like a greasy mess. I put them on the grill grate and put aluminum foil on the diverter to catch the drips.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #16  
If these look like awkward crops, it’s because I typically hang a bird in each shot. 2 brothers and 2 friends have a lively back and forth with these.

I’ve had my Big Green Egg for over a year and it is outstanding.

Big fat T bone from last night.

View attachment 707616

Center cut pork chop

View attachment 707617

Chicken thighs

View attachment 707618

Wings. Typically I cut these and save the ends and freeze for making stock.

View attachment 707619
If I were a restaurant owner, I would buy the picture of the t-bone (top) from you and show it in every ad I ran. Makes me hungry just looking at it. Ha! good job.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #17  
I just prepped this for tonight. Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers

Big Green Egg Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers

This is a must have appetizer, especially if you have folks over.

The first time I made these I put a few in my toaster oven to test out with my lunch. They were meh at best, not sure what the fuss was about with these things.

I put the rest on the grill that evening and they were nothing short of incredible.

I don’t cook these in pans like pictured in the recipe. That seems like a greasy mess. I put them on the grill grate and put aluminum foil on the diverter to catch the drips.
Try putting a Little Smokey sausage...or chunk of Polish sausage... in the middle of the cream cheese. It jazzes it up considerably.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #18  
Agreed.

Rule #2
Don't start late. Meat should be coming off the pit well before people start asking about it. For a dinner brisket this means putting meat on the pit around 3am.

Rule #3 don't cut into a brisket for least an hour after it comes off the pit. This is more important than the heat/speed you use to cook it. If you're pressed for time, you can stretch the bounds of "low & slow" to get it done on time but under no circumstances should you be slicing into it straight off the pit.

Best IMO to cook it overnight, put it in a cooler wrapped in towel in early morning, and let it slowly cool over the course of the whole day until dinner time. Best brisket ever, when you do that.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #19  
Version roast cook slowly wrap in tin foil butter with onions potatoes carrots. :)

/ Post your BBQ And meals #20  
Here are the poppers from the other day.

IMG_2266.JPG