Post your BBQ And meals

/ Post your BBQ And meals #1  

tracracer8867

Tractor
Deutz Fahr, X500, CT4045
This is a touchy subject but I'm sure we can all agree BBQ amazing. Being born and raised in NC, BBQ consists of smoked pork/hog with your choice of sauce (Eastern/Lexington). There is also Texas, Memphis, KC, Alabama, etc.

Personally, I love all kinds of BBQ. I've been seriously smoking meats for the last 5 years or so. Once I've reached financial security with my normal job, I plan to retire and open up a BBQ restaurant for fun because I love smoking meats so much. I've already got a signature rub, Lexington style sauce, and sides. My BBQ slaw needs work but my coleslaw is amazing.

I would love to see what kind of BBQ you guys enjoy, like to make, or have questions about.

I'll start us off with the brisket I made a few days ago.
C6b3aLO.jpg
zwN3I79.jpg

/ Post your BBQ And meals #2  
Flavor counts the most but did it pass the "hang test"...?

/ Post your BBQ And meals
Flavor counts the most but did it pass the "hang test"...?
Yes it tastes good, My wife had it sauced and i did the rest. it looks good and tastes even better.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #4  
I would like to see a BBQ forum; there are a lot of us who enjoy it and love to share. There are numerous posts on this thread; one of which is mine:

I would be more than happy to share my experience, successes and failures.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #5  
I've smoked mostly brisket and use commercial rubs on them.
I've tried ribs but not especially fond of the texture so I smoke them for an hour then move them to the oven to finish them with a little apple juice in the pan.
I've tried smoking a chicken, but that has not turned out well. I'd rate it "edible only if you're hungry".
I've tried smoking a turkey breast a couple of times and that turned out well.

What temperature do you smoke to? and how long do you expect it to take?

I run my briskets to 193* and expect it to take 12 hours from the time I start it to the time I can start cutting it. The weight doesn't make much difference and I try to hold it above 190* for at least 1 hour but not more than 2 before I take it off. I try to let it cool to 160* before cutting it but I frequently can't wait that long.

I recently tried pulled pork. It turned out good and I'll do it again, but found out a couple of big forks doesn't work well for pulling it. You really need those monster claws.

Last edited:
   / Post your BBQ And meals #6  
This is a touchy subject but I'm sure we can all agree BBQ amazing.
I'm not sure it is a touchy subject... but it is a tasty subject.... definitely a hands on / hands off subject...

So, I'm not a purist anymore... I used to smoke everything that was BBQ... heck I still cold smoke cheese, smoke batches of atomic buffalo turds, etc, etc... but for certain items I have now become a (lets say) hybrid cooker...

Pulled pork was mentioned & prior to the past few years I have either smoked low & slow or done it slow cooked in a pot (two very different styles)... but since we started experimenting with sous vide style of cooking, I've traded my practices for many things I thought I did well... so, now for pulled pork we dry rub, smoke heavily for 2 - 3hrs then seal & sous vide the pork butts for 40-48hrs...
2019-04-01 10.50.42.jpg 2019-04-01 11.15.21.jpg 2019-04-03 17.50.23.jpg 2019-04-03 18.18.02.jpg

/ Post your BBQ And meals #7  
I've smoked mostly brisket and use commercial rubs on them.
I've tried ribs but not especially fond of the texture so I smoke them for an hour then move them to the oven to finish them with a little apple juice in the pan.
I've tried smoking a chicken, but that has not turned out well. I'd rate it "edible only if you're hungry".
I've tried smoking a turkey breast a couple of times and that turned out well.

What temperature do you smoke to? and how long do you expect it to take?

I run my briskets to 193* and expect it to take 12 hours from the time I start it to the time I can start cutting it. The weight doesn't make much difference and I try to hold it above 190* for at least 1 hour but not more than 2 before I take it off. I try to let it cool to 160* before cutting it but I frequently can't wait that long.

I recently tried pulled pork. It turned out good and I'll do it again, but found out a couple of big forks doesn't work well for pulling it. You really need those monster claws.
I smoke my chickens using the same procedure I use for my baby backs. I wash them, spray with olive oil and apply a generous coating of dry rubb; and put them in a plastic bag in the frige over night. This is like brining;it make them very flavorful and very moist. I then cook them at 250 for about 2 and 1/2 hours. They always turn out great.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #8  
Brisket has notably always been one of the most difficult cuts of meat to get right on the pit...
...There's been hundreds of TV competition shows and youtube videos where many of the best pit cooks reveal some of their secrets...but just until recently a couple of the more famous brisket cooks have given up a trade secret to getting brisket right every time...That secret is beef tallow and it's use in the wrap...

just google "beef tallow brisket" for some of the revealing youtube videos...

FWIW...the "hang test" I mentioned in an earlier reply is...a slice of brisket should hang / drape over a finger etc. without falling apart...but should pull apart without pulling it off the finger...

/ Post your BBQ And meals
Post some pictures Boys!!!
Let's make this thread a lively one with lots of cool pictures and fun time.

/ Post your BBQ And meals #10  
If these look like awkward crops, it’s because I typically hang a bird in each shot. 2 brothers and 2 friends have a lively back and forth with these.

I’ve had my Big Green Egg for over a year and it is outstanding.

Big fat T bone from last night.

IMG_2259.JPG

Center cut pork chop

IMG_2258.JPG

Chicken thighs

IMG_2257.JPG

Wings. Typically I cut these and save the ends and freeze for making stock.

IMG_2256.JPG