Post Hole Digger and a Novice

/ Post Hole Digger and a Novice
Spoke with Speeco today and they are sending me a new replacement boom via FedEx. The u-bracket on the tractor end of the boom was definitely a manufacturing mistake. Ben at Speeco was great and I was very impressed with his understanding of the issue. I am guessing that I was not the first one to call about this. Kudos to Speeco and thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate it!

/ Post Hole Digger and a Novice #22  
That IS great news. Easy, quick & courteous - a situation that could be learned by some other companies. You are correct - many kudos to Speeco. Now, just be careful with the new implement.

/ Post Hole Digger and a Novice #23  
Post a picture of the new one when you get it set up.

Will do. Also, for whatever it is worth...I changed out the cotter pins on the pin that connects the gear box to the boom with hitch pin clips. Hitch pin clips are easier to take in and out and this will make it easier to remove the gear box if needed. They are also stronger than the cotter pins. I know most folks leave their PHD fully assembled when not is use, but I plan on breaking mine down for storage in my barn when not in use. It was fairly easy to assemble and take down (did it a few times as practice) and was so much easier to handle in its five parts (boom, A frame, gear box, pto shaft, and auger bit) than trying to manhandle a fully assembled one. Took up a whole lot less space too.

/ Post Hole Digger and a Novice #25  
Will do. Also, for whatever it is worth...I changed out the cotter pins on the pin that connects the gear box to the boom with hitch pin clips. Hitch pin clips are easier to take in and out and this will make it easier to remove the gear box if needed. They are also stronger than the cotter pins. I know most folks leave their PHD fully assembled when not is use, but I plan on breaking mine down for storage in my barn when not in use. It was fairly easy to assemble and take down (did it a few times as practice) and was so much easier to handle in its five parts (boom, A frame, gear box, pto shaft, and auger bit) than trying to manhandle a fully assembled one. Took up a whole lot less space too.
Glad they took good care of you. this is how I store mine as well it's much easier this way. Great idea on the pins I'm going to copy it.

Wow....the replacement boom arrived today (only 3 days from the day I spoke with Speeco) and it looks good. The U-bracket on the tractor end of the boom measures 1 5/8" OD to fit the 1 3/4" ID top link bracket. This will allow 1/16" play between each leg of the boom u-bracket and each side of the top link bracket. Small enough gap to make it fit easily and not so much as to allow any wiggle or side to side movement. Should be very solid. Will hook it up tomorrow and post a couple of pictures.

Really have to praise Speeco.....they took ownership of the problem, fixed it at no cost to me, and got me the replacement a week earlier than promised. That's the kind of service that speaks volumes about how they feel about their customers!

/ Post Hole Digger and a Novice #27  
Thats great - good service is hard to come by. Glad they got it worked out!

Hooked up the new replacement boom and it fits like a glove!

Before...using the original boom:
20161225_104602.jpg

After...using the new replacement boom:
20161231_091955.jpg

Will probably figure out a way to hook a winch to the original boom or some other repurpose use.