Possible weak loader or just too much weight?

/ Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
So I think I may have a minor issue with my loader/hydraulics or maybe I am just asking too much of my loader. I feel for the size of my tractor that the loader is a bit on the weaker side. I have a 5' bucket and itll lift just fine when picking up stone or dirt etc etc. Heaping buckets at that.

The part I feel that is lacking is: when I start to curl the bucket back with my bale spear (attaches to the bucket) and spear a round bale (4x4 600-700lbs) is that it has a hard time. Now, just to explain this a bit better, it will curl back if the spear is all the way in the bale but, if I can see a foot or so of the spear then there is not enough power there to curl the bucket back all the way to get it to slide down the spear. The bales we make are really tight so I don't always get it perfectly speared. Is this a case of just too much weight at the end of the spear for the bucket to curl or is there another issue at hand? It is my SAME mercury 75 tractor.

/ Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #2  
I may have a minor issue with my loader/hydraulics or maybe I am just asking too much of my loader.

Researching all the Turkish "SAME 75" listings on TractorData.com I speculate your SAME Mercury 75 has around 75 horsepower, 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight and hydraulic pump flow of 8.7 GPM, WHEN NEW.
Production was 1981 - 1985. Your tractor is 35 to 40 years old.

No SAME tractor data I viewed showed SAME factory Loaders. Is your Loader from the factory or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brand and model?

Hydraulic pump flow is minimal by today's standards, but may have been typical for 1981 - 1985 Turkish tractors without Loaders. Most of the flow goes to the power steering. Have the steering centered when lifting bales.

I trust you have checked hydraulic fluid level and condition of hydraulic fluid filter.

Do you have the Owner's/Opterator's Manual?

Any idea how many prior owners this tractor had?

Your SAME tractor is a rarity in the USA. Next time you inquire, include more background data if you have it.

Last edited:
   / Possible weak loader or just too much weight?
The loader is aftermarket. It is a KMW K600. Hydraulic level is where it needs to be. Not many leaks on the tractor itself. I changed out the hydraulic filter when I got the tractor roughly 3 years ago and only put on about 300 hours on it. I do have the owners manual and a repair manual. Not sure how many prior owners, I bought it at an auction. It did, however, have a dealer sticker on it and when I called them, they said they used to sell SAME tractors back in the early 80's so they did still have some left over parts for it. I have never paid much attention to the steering when lifting bales but I can say that the steering has its own pump and reservoir that I do top off periodically. I am not sure if this was put in afterwards because if I recall correctly, it is not in any of the manuals.

/ Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #4  
bazman82
Are you aware the further forward from bucket attachment/pivot pin the load is located will exponentially increase the difficulty to raise or curl the load?

/ Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #5  
KMW LOADERS: KMW Loaders - Products

Call KMW Customer Service and pose your question direct to the supplier.

Ask KMW about the "new" lift capacity of their model K600.

Last edited:
   / Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #6  
Like TXJim says: Sounds like typical operating condition to me. Large load extended out in front of the curl cylinders limiting ability to curl.

Take an empty 5 gallon bucket and hold it out at arms length and curl it up. Now fill the bucket and try it again. Same principal of force required.

bazman82
Are you aware the further forward from bucket attachment/pivot pin the load is located will exponentially increase the difficulty to raise or curl the load?

I am aware. That why i was also included the part about maybe it is just too much weight in the front. It'll raise no problem with the bale that far forward but just wont curl.It'll also curl just fine when the bale is all the way on the spear. I just feel there should be more power there but maybe this is all the loader is capable of or maybe I am just used to stronger loaders.

/ Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #8  
As others have advised it's a matter of "foot-pounds". OEMs specify their products with a given distance from some reference point. Assuming you have a loader spec'd at some pressure and at some measured distance from some part of the loader say it's 2000# capacity. If you put that load at that point, it should lift before the pressure bypass safety valve opens and stops the lift.

If you move the load 2' out from that reference point, then you doubled the feet part of the equation. Since the limit is as stated, that means that you can only lift 1000#.

Other thing is power vs losses. On old equipment, like my '65 Ford 3000, I can't lift much at idle....it takes awhile. If I increase the rpms, the faster the engine turns the more pressure is developed by the pump and the faster the load raises.

Well, I may just be asking too much of the loader. I am going to be spending a good chunk of money to get a ssqa, grapple (70") and all the things to work the grapple and wanted to comfort myself by picking the brains of others.

/ Possible weak loader or just too much weight? #10  
As others have advised it's a matter of "foot-pounds". OEMs specify their products with a given distance from some reference point. Assuming you have a loader spec'd at some pressure and at some measured distance from some part of the loader say it's 2000# capacity. If you put that load at that point, it should lift before the pressure bypass safety valve opens and stops the lift.

If you move the load 2' out from that reference point, then you doubled the feet part of the equation. Since the limit is as stated, that means that you can only lift 1000#.

Other thing is power vs losses. On old equipment, like my '65 Ford 3000, I can't lift much at idle....it takes awhile. If I increase the rpms, the faster the engine turns the more pressure is developed by the pump and the faster the load raises.

It's not more pressure as the engine turns faster, its volume of oil moved quicker, that make the loader faster.