Possible new CTL

/ Possible new CTL #1  

finn1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 hst, Cab, Deere 26G excavator, K1500 w/ Boss 7’6” plow, F450 dump W/ Boss 10’ straight blade Super Duty plow, F250 reg cab, F350 cc drw, Case TR310 CTL
There痴 a similar threat that was brought back from the dead, but most of the posts are sixteen years old, and technology has come a long way in that time.

Anyway, to get to the point, I traded in my 2004 Deere 240 Series ll skid steer when I bought my Kioti CK 4010 SE cab tractor almost two years ago. I have come to realize that a compact tractor is in no way a replacement for a piece of construction machinery. The tractor handles snow removal well, but lacks when doing loader or fork work because it is too light and forward visibility is poor compared to the skid steer.

Our property is on the lake, and my current project involves adding a lot of drain tile, including trenching with my mini excavator, and adding 2a rock under and over the tile. I pit a couple hundred feet in last year, and the 4wd tractor was marginal at best in the wet, sloppy conditions.

I determined that I will purchase a CTL for this and other general use projects. Eventually I may pick up a hydraulic snowblower to replace the tractor. Renting will cost about $1500/ week, but I am retired and don稚 want to deal with schedules. It may take all summer to complete this project.

I priced out both the Deere 317g and 325 G machines, and almost pulled the trigger on the 325G, but on the spur of the moment called the Case dealer. He quoted on a TR310, for only about $2000 more than the Deere 317G, and considerably less than the 325G.

On paper, the Case is a much more robust machine than the 317G. More power, wider tracks, more lift, lower ground pressure (as quoted), ore hydraulic flow(Case std flow.

Everything quoted is cab, a/c, iso, air seat, cold start kit, etc.

My quandary is that I have no experience with Case, and have 10 years of excellent service from my old Deere.

Any suggestions or recommendations? Anyone have experience with the newer Case machines? Not really interested in info on older machines, as I don稚 think that痴 relevant.

Same questions about the newer Deere products.

Other makes aren稚 really in the running. No Kubota dealers, not interested in Bobcat, and the Cat dealer is too big to get any personal attention.

I have good experience with my mini ex purchase, and was impressed with the Case Sales person.

/ Possible new CTL #2  
I have a case tr340. 2015 model. Can't say much for service since it hasn't needed much so far. I love the machine though. Excellent visibility and is an absolute work horse. Really like the iso control and abiloty to adjust response rate. Don't use my tractor for much now other than road maintanance and mowing.

/ Possible new CTL #3  
Given that you were happy with your Deere it would be a pretty major factor for me in sticking with them.
I like the parts and dealer network. With skid steers you can go to both the construction and ag dealers for support.
The newer Deere skid steers have came along way since your 240.
I have a 320D which I like since it is a tier 3. However the new ones have a Yanmar engine that might even be better than the JD powertech engine that mine has (if that’s even possible).
I haven’t played with a newer Case, but a friend of mine has an older one. It’s drive system seems smoother and more refined than my much newer Deere. My drive system seems to be a little jumpy and noisy... like a Bobcat.

/ Possible new CTL
Well, the plot thickens: my kid is an engineer for Chrysler (FCA). Since FCA is the parent company of Case, it looks like the loader is eligible for an employee purchase plan discount. If true, it probably makes financial sense to switch to Case.

It sort of rubs me the wrong way when the Deere salesmen use toe old higher resale line in their sales pitch. I would rather hear about how good their warranty is, service department reputation, fuel economy, performance specs, etc.

If a given (green) $50-60k machine brings a $10k premium new, is it really going to bring that same $10k in ten years when I sell it? Or, am I better off investing that $10k in the stock market, and buying a yellow machine?

I’m leaning towards thinking that as long as the Case is a competent machine, with on red flag design or operational issues, and does the job in a reliable manner, the premium for the Deere isn’t a good investment.

This is gust a personal use or hobby type machine for me at the moment, so I don’t expect it to be used like a crotractor with a hired driver would.

Fundamental question is: is this a competent machine, or is it obsolete, difficult to use / service / deal with and a dead end purchase.

/ Possible new CTL #5  
I’ve been looking for a used one and I’ve seen some of the best prices on Deere so I’m thinking that idea is BS. I’ll probably buy a Kubota unless I come up with a good reason not to in the meantime. I don’t like Deere machines for the most part but my backhoe says Deere on the side so maybe I don’t dislike them that much.

/ Possible new CTL #6  
I always thought JD was pretty competitive price wise in the skid steer market. I can’t see why you would have to pay much of a premium.
In your shoes, it makes sense to go with a Case. They are good machines in my opinion.

/ Possible new CTL
To be fair, the Deere was equipped a little better, with a backup camera, stereo, and high flow, which I don’t need, but is nice.

I”m looking for the XLT of CTLs, not thr King Ranch or Platinum version.

Also, I find that these large dealers with three, six, or more stores, tend to order stock spec’d for what their customers buy...not a lot of spec variation within a given dealers inventory.

/ Possible new CTL #8  
I probably wouldn’t buy high flow. It’s about a 2k option and the only use I see for it is a mower and buying a high flow mower is another 1500-2k.

/ Possible new CTL
I do see a lot of used machines with 10 to 300 hours (and more, of course),

Not sure what’s up with why someone would buy a $50-60k machine and sell it after 10, 90, or even 172 hours like I see on Machinery Trader.

No Kubota for me. The nearest dealer has a poor service reputation, and doesn’t do CTL or excavator Sales anyway.

Bobcat dealer has a poor service rep, too, so it’s pretty much Deere or Case.

Still haven’t heard anything bad about either, so I think it will be a price base decision, looking at the price /feature trade offs.

One other thing, the Deere is vertical lift and the Case is radial lift. Any real world advantages to vertical lift for a non professional use environment?