Possible DEF shortages

/ Possible DEF shortages #71  
To those confusing DEF and "pre-emissions"... We've had "emissions" stuff for MANY decades. DEF has been around for less than two decades: not sure exact date Mercedes came up with it. My tractor is Tier IV but it doesn't use DEF. DEF isn't a requirement for anyone. DEF systems just make it easier to hit the emissions standards: costs manufacturers patent rights [from Mercedes] to use it.

DEF comes in big barrels. I'd look to have a barrel, if I had equipment that needed it, just like I look to have a tank full of diesel. Will admit, however, that I have no idea on storage and shelf life, so maybe not an option...

The "lesson," as uncomfortable as it is, is that the JIT (Just In Time) system is starting to break down: Toyota learned the lesson with Fukushima- they relaxed on their pure JIT scheme to allow for critical parts to be stocked up. I foresaw all this many years ago: just took longer to [d]evolve than I figured.

BTW - I've got "mechanical" injection pumps on my VW TDIs, which have no DEF or DPF; but, they DO have EGR valves and coolers (both are fairly trivial and, for the most part, trouble-free [if your operate the cars like they should]). These cars use computers, simple ones: zero issues with mine at 225k miles and 21 years; wife's is only 18 years old and only 205k miles, so it's not as proven. My truck is ALL mechanical (only a pre-heater): 12V 5.9L Cummins; stinks and is dirty, but it's not used a lot (at the rate its used it'll last 2,000 years).

/ Possible DEF shortages #72  
Shelf life of DEF is one year.

Typical dosing is 1.7% of fuel consumed. At least that’s the target most commonly used by engine manufacturers. That may have changed since I was involved, though.

/ Possible DEF shortages #73  
Only if drivers are dumb enough to just drive newer trucks. the Old boys will keep on rolling and making serious Green!
There’s some truth to that, for sure. The older trucks can get by with nothing and they can get in-frames along the way and just keep going.
Restrictions are appearing in spots, though. Did I read that you have to drive a truck made after a certain year to pick up containers in some CA ports? Some states have emissions testing, too.
The issue for me is the older 450/550 4500/5500 trucks can’t tow jack compared to the newer ones.
I should just go back to an older class 8 and get it over with…..

/ Possible DEF shortages #74  
The fuel supplier that supplies fuel to the neighbor's tanks also supplies DEF fluid.

/ Possible DEF shortages #75  
If you run out of DEF, does the engine go into "limp mode" ??

If so, let it run out, operate in limp mode, the fuel mileage should go WAY up,, as limp mode is similar to hypermiling,,

You end up with a Win/Win situation,, except, it takes longer to "get there",,,,,,,,

/ Possible DEF shortages #80  
China is not the real problem. It’s the American corporations that shipped all their jobs and product production to China so that they could make more PROFIT.

So if you own stock in an American corporation, look in the mirror to see the real culprit!
I agree with the look in the mirror part, but it's not the stockholder you need to look at. The real problem is American consumers. However, no one wants to admit it could be their own damn fault.

Corporations respond to what gets results. If the first Chinese stuff to be shipped over here sat on the shelf rotting away, they would not be bringing in more. As it is, American consumers demand CHEAP. They don't seem to care much how long it lasts. If US manufacturers did not start producing overseas, the overseas manufacturers would just start shipping the stuff here anyway. If it can be made cheaper elsewhere, SOMEONE will bring it in, and Americans will buy it.

Last edited: