Positioning new barn in relation to wind?

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #1  

dweitzel

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7360SS
Getting ready to start a barn project this spring and wondering what is the best way to position the barn in relation to the wind direction. I'm on top of a ridge that sees some pretty hefty winds.

Pole barn 27' wide by 64' long, 18' side walls.

I'm thinking about positioning the corner of the barn into the wind. I realize that any good building will have plenty of wind bracing, but just wondering since I have the ability to position the barn pretty much how I want, is there any advantage putting the corner into the wind, short side or long side. Also, any insight on the roof and the wind would help also. I'm thinking about a standing seam if I can afford it.

Thanks. Dave

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #2  
I would also think about wind loads on doors - trying to open and close them during high winds could be a challenge. You may want to face the short side (gable) to the wind. Less surface area than the long side and less chance of lifting roofing material.

Is there a chance of planting a wind break later on - something that won't interfere with the movement of apparatus around the exterior building? Metal roofing (standing seam) would be great and if possible don't overlap the lengths - purchase full length panels to fit ridge to soffit.

We boarded in our roof prior to installing metal for the following reasons:
Stronger roof
Less noise with rain
Better surface to screw to and you can walk on roof if need be.
Stringer for snow loads
* out tar paper down to prevent rot from metal sweating.

Hope this helps.

lloyd

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind?
Thanks Lloyd, yes, if I go with standing seam, I'll have someone come and roll it full sheets on site. My truss mfg want me to put trusses 2' OC due to wind im my area and also for sissor trusses to get additional head room if I put in a loft or stalls later.

I'll probably put thin roll insulation under the metal roof to allow condensation to flow out the eaves rather than drip on the hay inside.

Any other wind ideas for the roof/attaching the roof? Thanks again

Dave

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #4  
I have dismantled metal roofs that were laid over plywood only to find then badly rusted on the underside.
Metal will sweat and when in contact with wood it will never dry, hence the rust/rot will start soon.(think like a wet sponge)
I think you want some air space there.
I would think that furring strips every 12" would be better than plywood (and cheaper) as that would allow for air dry.
Other than extreme humid conditions, with 12" furring you probably would not need insulation or vapor barriers.
Only with a snow load on roof in warm spring days do I see enough condensation to cause dripping around here.

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #5  
I would face small side with doors facing the wind.Plywood under metal is
good for added strength.Make sure you use 30# felt under. Framer

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #6  
be generous with your roofing nails/screws around the gable edges and dripline. hip roof is best design for prevalent high winds in all directions. constant downforce while the wind is passing over your roof.

be generous with your roofing nails/screws around the gable edges and dripline. hip roof is best design for prevalent high winds in all directions. constant downforce while the wind is passing over your roof.

Thanks for the replies. I'm pulling the permit on Friday and I will post pictures as I start the barn. Any other ideas, please post them.

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #8  
Not sure what your snow situation is like? I would personally avoid having any doors on the north side of the building. Any snow on that side of the building won't melt as fast as on the sides that have sun exposure.

Plus, the old northwest wind has a habit of finding any gaps in the door gaskets... then you have snowdrifts inside the building. :-(

Also, position your walk doors on the gable end of the building, if possible. It bites to have snow slide off the roof and land in front of the door.

My shop was built completely wrong - overhead door on the north side and walk door on the side. Won't do that again.

Sounds good, yes, the sliders and the gable end will be on primarily East/West sides. I plan on a drive through with a 12' tall x 10' wide door on each end. Saw other posts about the snow sliding off and blocking the doors. Good tip and thanks.

Wind seems to come from NW usually. Real bad storms come from SW. They moved my 18000 lb storage trailer about a foot a couple of years ago. Lost some of the biggest trees on my property. I know some of the trees were probably 200+ year od white oak trees.

Thanks again.

/ Positioning new barn in relation to wind? #10  
What matters most is to have the building properly engineered,
Then it makes NO difference regarding the orientation.
Do not assume the contractor will put in adequate wind bracing.
Put it in writing and on the contract. The salesman will talk the talk, but the carpenters will not walk the walk. Communication is essential.

Good Luck,

Yooper Dave