Pork and Beans

/ Pork and Beans #11  
The great thing about cooking, canning etc is you don't have to accept corporate crud for your meals. I am sure SR's beans are great.

Below, after 50 years I still can't get away from pork and beans and sourdough for breakfast. Not runny and not bland. The combination of good beans and pork belly makes for thick sauce.

Oh, That looks tasty.

/ Pork and Beans #12  
I don't eat Pork and Beans, it can cause blindness......Looking for the Pork.:laughing:

/ Pork and Beans #13  
I can't convince the Wife that I should have Pork & Beans for breakfast. She says I don't need any more hot air. Bummer

/ Pork and Beans #14  
The first time I saw pork and beans on a breakfast menu was when I worked in Canada. Later found them in all restaurants in England, so I suppose that is how they got to Canada. Lots of countries have varied menus for breakfast that don't include bacon and eggs like we have in the states.
Note: I never found Canadian Bacon for breakfast in Canada but did find regular smoked bacon. That does make me wonder how that name came about.

/ Pork and Beans #15  
I used to carry canned pork & beans fishing a lot, along with hard boiled eggs and cheese crackers; can't even remember eating any pork & beans any other time.

And yep, menus are sure different in different places. My wife and I like macaroni & cheese as a side dish with meals, and I've never seen it different on restaurant menus in this part of the world, but when I was working in northern Pennsylvania, I think nearly every restaurant had it on their lunch menu; just a plate of macaroni & cheese and a slice of plain white bread.

/ Pork and Beans #16  
I could certainly go for a Bacon, Cheese and Tomato Omelette with hashbrowns and wheat toast. Of course, I also like a good chunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese with my Apple pie and I like grape jelly with my pork sausage. Do you remember when Hostess sold real Fried Pies instead of that baked crap?

/ Pork and Beans #17  
Fried potatoes and onions anytime.

/ Pork and Beans #18  
Just gotta have brown roll bread with butter to make meal complete.:licking:

/ Pork and Beans #19  
My folks would make Ham & Beans for dinner occasionally. They always used navy beans and either ham hocks or oxtails. Then added ketchup when it was served. Never really cared for it. However, some friends of ours made some with pinto beans. That was much better! We now make Ham & Beans after every time we have ham. Pinto beans and the ham bone (with some spices) is really good. I've also heard purple hulled peas are good, but have not tried them yet.

/ Pork and Beans #20  
Bratwurst and beans of any persuasion. My last purchase of Brats have the texture of bologna and do not whistle and spit fat and juice while cooking. Should be somewhat better health wise.