Poplar Mechanics Review

/ Poplar Mechanics Review #1  

RET

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, JD LX277, Cub Lo-Boy
Did ya'll see the garden tractor review in this month's Popular Mechanics? It was not highly technical (more of a touchy, feely review), but since my JD LX277 won, I feel a little better about the big bucks I spent on it.
-R

/ Poplar Mechanics Review #2  
RET,

One of the nice things about buying a JD is that it holds its value - even if it's a lawn tractor. I had 1988 JD 240 that I paid $3400 for and got $1450 for it when I traded it in last April on my JD4100 HST. Now admittedly, there are some games played when trading in used equipment. However, I know that I couldn't have gotten more than $500 or even less if I tried to sell it on the open market.

By my calculations $2350 ($3400 - 1450) divided by 13 yrs = ~$150/yr to use the tractor not counting maintenance and a few parts that wore out.

Terry

/ Poplar Mechanics Review
Terry,
I'm like you - new to CT's. Just got a BX2200 last week.
I also have 3 acres but it's all flat and all yard (only a small garden) - thus the decision to go with the BX.
I bought the JD LX277 3 mowing seasons ago. It's been a fantastic workhorse - I've worked the heck out of it with absolutely zero problems (other than one broken deck belt).
I routinely pulled my 5X10 trailer loaded down with tree limb debris.
I've even used it to haul wood back to the shop - as much as 1000 lbs of stuff on a 800 lb trailer. Over Christmas, I pulled 4 adults and 6 kids on the trailer up and down the neighborhood caroling. I'm positive JD would not recommend that kind of weight, but, heck, it's a JD - need I say more?
Now that I have the BX, I've thought about selling the JD, buying a cheap Craftsman or similar for trim mowing and spending the difference on an extra attachment or two for the 'bota. But, I'v become attached to my JD and don't think I can stand to get rid of it. With only light duty work from now on, it will last practically forever. I have come to appreciate the quality feel and toughness. I never have to baby it and worry that it will fall apart. I just keep the oil changed, hose it off occasionally, and work it for all its superb Kawasaki 17hp engine is worth.
Ain't it great?!
-R

/ Poplar Mechanics Review #4  
RET,

Oh my, I didn't realize that the 277 had a 17 horse Kawasaki engine. Make it a keeper!! I beat the snot out of my 240 and it had a 14 horse Kawasaki engine. I had to rebuild the fuel pump and replace a small metal limiter flap in the engine, but that was about it. The year or so, the engine began to blow a little smoke when it first started. But, it still ran like a champ.

Terry