pond pump cost

/ pond pump cost #1  

Tul01

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,
Last year I rigged up a 1/4hp sump pump off the end of our dock to spray up in the air like a fountain. I like the sound of it, esp when I come home at night. I was just curious how much it is costing me. Does anyone know how to calculate the numbers? It is a 3.5amp motor, my electric bill says we pay 6.38 cents/kwh? Is that the correct numbers? I'm not that exp with elect numbers. Thanks

Brent

/ pond pump cost #2  
Roughly speaking, 3.5A at 120V is 420 watts. Running 24 hours a day, 10,080 watt-hours. Seven days a week, 70,560 wh. About $4.50/week.

It is probably less than that, because it should not be drawing the full 3.5 amps. You would have to measure how much power it is actually drawing, then apply the math. Your power may not be 120 volts, either, maybe 110 or 115.

current_draw * voltage * hours / 1000 * $0.0638 = cost

-rus-

/ pond pump cost #3  
kill-a-watt

kill-a-watt-power-meter-1.jpg

leave it plugged in for a day or 2 and mulitpuly by 365/12 = per month cost

/ pond pump cost
Thanks guys, and I like the look of the Kill-a-watt that would satisfy many of my curiosities.

/ pond pump cost #5  
Thanks guys, and I like the look of the Kill-a-watt that would satisfy many of my curiosities.

its a great little tool.

i finnally picked one up and used it to figure out how much it costs us to run the heat lamp for our brooder for our new chickens this spring. (about $20 in total)

/ pond pump cost #6  
Last year I rigged up a 1/4hp sump pump off the end of our dock to spray up in the air like a fountain. I like the sound of it, esp when I come home at night. I was just curious how much it is costing me. Does anyone know how to calculate the numbers? It is a 3.5amp motor, my electric bill says we pay 6.38 cents/kwh? Is that the correct numbers? I'm not that exp with elect numbers. Thanks

Brent

I am interested to know what you did to rig it up. Does it run all the time? What type of sump pump? How high does the water go? Any pictures of it? I would love to do something in my pond but have found that the price to buy everything is very expensive. I do have an old pump sitting around though and maybe I could put it to good use! Just curious.
Thanks
Wes

/ pond pump cost #7  

Brent
Just curious, do you run it in the winter?

/ pond pump cost #8  
I am interested to know what you did to rig it up. Does it run all the time? What type of sump pump? How high does the water go? Any pictures of it? I would love to do something in my pond but have found that the price to buy everything is very expensive. I do have an old pump sitting around though and maybe I could put it to good use! Just curious.
Thanks
Wes

This interests me as well. As we progress into summer, water flow into the pond drops enough that algae goes wild. A little air in the water should help a bit.

/ pond pump cost
I only ran it until there was about 1" of ice on the outer edges of the pond. I wasn't sure how deep the pond was going to freeze. That reminds me I forgot to cut a hole this winter to check like I was going to :mad:. I will post some pics when I can track down my wife and her blackberry it takes just the right size pics to upload. I used a 3' galvanized pipe with an adapter for a garden hose quick attach at a 45 deg. I still haven't wired it in permanent, still trying to grow grass, but will do so with a gfci eventually. There was still a little algae last summer, looking at adding a small windmill and bubbler as well.

Brent

/ pond pump cost
I finally got around to some pics. As you can see we do have some algae, will be checking into some solutions for that. On the other hand it has been much warmer and sunnier this year than over the last few, don't know if that is relateed.

Attachments

• fountain.jpg
    fountain.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 106
  • nozzles.jpg
    nozzles.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 106