Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Politics #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
This forum is undoubtedly the best run of all I have observed. The membership is quite diverse and, at least generally, very polite. I have seen threads closed because they were political in nature, even when the discourse was friendly. I don't understand why, but I'm not challenging the rule. Instead, I would like to know if there is a forum for friendly discussion of political matters.

/ Politics #2  
<font color="blue"> "friendly discussion of political matters" </font>

I looked up "oxymoron" in the dictionary: "A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist" - or a friendly discussion of political matters. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

However, in the interest of trying to be helpful, you might check out US Politics Online.

/ Politics #3  
reb,

TBN banned politics and religious type of conversations. When TBN was small I think we could get away with the discussions but over time much/most of the bandwidth on TBN was about politics and not tractor related topics. So those discusssions where banned.

And with good reason. The disucssion would eventually cause too many problems since someone would take it personally or go after someone else. It just did not fit TBN. I miss the early years since TBN was a smaller community and these discussions did not get out of control. I learned from others viewpoints and it was enjoyable. But that has changed as TBN grew to what it is today and these topics quickly spiral out of control. They need to be banned.

While I think this is somewhat of a loss to TBN to ban these discussions, TBN has grown into something much more important. There is just so much info here that is tractor related. There are plenty of other places to talk politics.

I can remember when I could keep up with ALL of the forums on TBN. I don't think that is possible anymore.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And that is a good thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ Politics #4  
<font color="blue">I don't understand why, but I'm not challenging the rule. Instead, I would like to know if there is a forum for friendly discussion of political matters. </font>

The reasoning is that it is a tractor board and they try to keep it a tractor board. Just that simple. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for friendly discussion of political matters... try it with your family at the dinner table first to let us know if it works... if that goes well, then try religion and finances. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

To answer your actual question though, I'd have to say NO, I don't know of any forums that have friendly discussions of political topics, as someone always gets upset and either bursts into flames or is set on fire. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Politics #5  
One problem with politics is it's always one sided. I'm right and your wrong, or the other way around. It's an argument that you can't win. Sort of like convincing a drunk that he's a drunk. Nothing in the world you can say will make him believe otherwise.

Another problem with politics is how pasionate people are on their views. Not that they are wrong, but their history is different than any boyd elses.

There are plenty of other sites that talk about politics. They are all the same. This site is different. Lots of good information and friendly people.

We all get along because we're not allowed to insult each other or force our views on each other. Tractor color is bad enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've seen some posters that I enjoyed reading their posts on other sites. They are totally different people there. Experts that know everything and we're all idiots. If it 's allowed here, it would only be a few months until the site didn't have nay memeberst agian.

Eddie

/ Politics #6  
Eddie,
I'll agree with you about how it benefits us to have no political discussions here, but man I would love to have a thread for Jokes.

I enjoy a good clean joke and I have a few of them to offer myself. I don't see what harm would come out of a thread for jokes. What is your perspective on this topic?

/ Politics #7  
Rox, I suspect most of us enjoy a good joke, but many many jokes are such that they may insult someone for some reason whether political, religous, ethnic origin, hair color (lots of blond jokes), education (in Texas we have lots of "Aggie" jokes), etc. That's one reason to not allow jokes on TBN. Two others I can think of are: (1) there are plenty of other sites with jokes, and (2) with just what is now allowed on TBN, we have more posts than most of us can find time to read. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Incidentally, those are my opinions, not necessarily that of the management.

/ Politics #8  
It is my belief, based on years of internet forum-ing, that it is virtually impossible to have a political discussion with "both" sides contributing that doesn't turn into a flame-fest.

In fact, it's hard to keep it civil when only one "side" is allowed to participate.

There's really no way to allow political discussions in a divided country on a message board. People say things behind a keyboard that they'd think twice about saying in person. And it quickly turns into a contest over who can insult the most viciously (which I'd win /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

The folks who run this board know what they are doing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Politics #9  
<font color="blue"> The reasoning is that it is a tractor board and they try to keep it a tractor board </font>

Are these all tractor topics ??? I am not advocating the discussion of politics,I think it would or could cause problems,but I would say this forum is predominantly not totally the discussion of tractors with other topics as well:
<font color="blue"> Discuss all makes and models of ATVs and utility vehicles!
691 6348 Re: Anyone here know anyth...
03/22/06 04:02 PM

Other Forums Sponsor
Book Discussion
Only for the discussion of the first ever book on compact tractors:
Compact Tractor Buying & Basics, The Ultimate Compact Tractor Guide, by Muhammad Chishti. (Click here for complete information!)
13 158 Re: Paper version
03/14/06 11:42 AM
Rural Living
Please visit CountryByNet.com for rural living and much more!
3849 67926 Re: givers and takers,how ...
03/22/06 05:48 PM
Photos
Upload photos here! Tractor and equipment photos, as well as any other related photos!
1606 21592 Re: Think Spring.........
03/21/06 07:02 AM