Pole Barn Skirt Board question

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #1  

jorswift

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4300, Ford Jubilee
I purchased a home with a 24'x32' pole barn with stone floor. The barn is only 5-8 years old and was built up in the back to accommodate being level with the driveway. The other day i was spraying around the barn and to my surprise some of the 2x6 tongue and groove is already rotting. Since the barn was built up they have some of the left over dirt just piled around the outside of the barn and graded out. I am assuming i need to replace the skirt boards, but what do you recommend to do with the remaining dirt around the barn? Replace with stone, gravel, etc?

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #2  
How deep is the 2x6s installed ? You could take out the 2x6s then build a form and pour concrete retaining wall. Or put concrete blocks in then fill the voids with concrete.

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #3  
In general excavate down at least 6 inches or so and fill with stone. Then put ground treated boards if you can. I had this problem with my pole barn and replaced the boards with above grade treated 2 x 6s because I couldn't easily get ground contact boards in the right size. They are fine 10 years later. Another option is composite boards if you can make the available size work. Concrete is a good idea but a lot of work.

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #4  
Would like to see what you have, but maybe installing a french drain to carry the water away

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question
attached are the pics. One from the outside and one from the inside. IMG_1291.jpgIMG_1297.jpg

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #6  
That doesn't look like ground contact pressure treated wood. The board above does. Maybe it was a temporary thing and they planned to pour cement and never got to it.

Dig it down, and use GC PT and never worry about it again.

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #7  
Agree, that wood does not look treated

Can the ground be leveled and slop away some ?

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #8  
OK, silly question, if there is stone on one side, and dirt on the other, and the board above holds the siding...why do you even need a board there? Maybe just pull out what you can to keep it from rotting something else?

/ Pole Barn Skirt Board question #9  
OK, silly question, if there is stone on one side, and dirt on the other, and the board above holds the siding...why do you even need a board there? Maybe just pull out what you can to keep it from rotting something else?

X2
It looks like non PT board to me that was added after the pole barn was up. If I am seeing it correctly I would pull it out and just add gravel as to me it looks the same level as the inside floor. Or form it up and fill with concrete.