Pole barn security alarm

/ Pole barn security alarm #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
Does anyone have a simple alarm system for their pole barn?

I have a pole barn that is about 1,000 feet from the house. I am looking for a simple DIY alarm system that will activate a siren and/or flashing lights. I do not need a monitored system or one that will dial or have motion detectors. Just looking for a system that senses when sliding doors or a man door is opened.

/ Pole barn security alarm #2  
Rob there was a thread a while ago that described how to make an alarm with a harbor freight horn, 12v battery, and other parts I cannot find the thread in the search. Maybe someone else can post a link to it. have you googled burglar bombs :)

/ Pole barn security alarm #3  
Not knowing if you want to go inexpensive or just uncomplicated...............Is the barn a clear line of sight so you can see the flashing lights and hear the siren or are you counting on the noise and light "frightening" off the intruder????????
On a whim, I got some solar powered flood lights from Cosco last spring........Put one down at the electric gate, one at the barn gate, one on the trail through the woods, and the last one here on the front porch..........They are still doing their job, so bright that they ruin one's night vision when you can't help looking at them, and are easy to mount and maintain..................$40 each

So, you could put one or something like that with the sensor pointed towards your door and the light towards where you want.......Or, using the battery in them, rig a siren or horn that would go off in addition to the light......a motorcycle horn from a junk yard is also 12V.....Good luck........God bless.........Dennis

/ Pole barn security alarm
I should have mentioned that the barn has power and I already have several motion detectors. There is no clear line of sight from the house as there are trees in the way. I am counting on the lights an noise frightening off the intruder.

/ Pole barn security alarm #5  
It depends in part on your electronics and wiring skill. If you want a simple, reliable wired alarm controller, where you get to add keypad or switch (hidden or otherwise, then something like this:

United Security Products MC-5A 4 Zone Alarm Control Panel

We used to use this sort of controller years ago before everything went fancy computer controlled.

If you want generally less reliable (than hard wired) wireless stuff, then go to Amazon and search for alarm system.

If you want to be notified at your house, there are short range beepers, driveway alarts, etc. that can be used. Be sure to read the reviews, as quality can be spotty in this area as well.

bumper
Morgan Alarm Co., Inc

/ Pole barn security alarm #6  
Well simple cheap it is I made my own noise maker out of a clothes pin some fishing line and a Radio shack siren works great for years now and is LOUD!! Let me know if this may be of interest to you!

/ Pole barn security alarm #7  
Well simple cheap it is I made my own noise maker out of a clothes pin some fishing line and a Radio shack siren works great for years now and is LOUD!! Let me know if this may be of interest to you!

Out in the country, that's a winner. In more urban areas, most places have noise ordinances that require alarm systems to have an automatic noise shut off timer of some sort - typical is 10 to 15 minutes. In more rural areas, this may not be so an issue - - but all the little animals will hate you if that **** thing sounds for hours :thumbdown:

Instead of the cloths pin switch and string and siren, have you given much thought to a string and grenade? There are very few problems in life that cannot be solved with good explosives. :thumbsup:

Edit: for those wondering what **** means, it's a big concrete or earthen structure that holds back water - - with an "n" on the end! Darn it all, can't even say that without being censored (g).

bumper

/ Pole barn security alarm #8  
Out in the country, that's a winner. In more urban areas, most places have noise ordinances that require alarm systems to have an automatic noise shut off timer of some sort - typical is 10 to 15 minutes. In more rural areas, this may not be so an issue - - but all the little animals will hate you if that **** thing sounds for hours :thumbdown:

Instead of the cloths pin switch and string and siren, have you given much thought to a string and grenade? There are very few problems in life that cannot be solved with good explosives. :thumbsup:

Edit: for those wondering what **** means, it's a big concrete or earthen structure that holds back water - - with an "n" on the end! Darn it all, can't even say that without being censored (g).

bumper
I have found the noise to be cheaper to deal with than replacing 3 or 4 buildings from the explosives which I'm sure they have an ordinance for also!!!! :D

/ Pole barn security alarm #9  
I have used Dakota Alert alarms out of South Dakota for our driveway and barn for over 20 years. They have worked very well. They do have a siren accessory and have added various motion detector alarms to their catalog. Most of their systems are in the $100 to $400 range. You can look at their website and see if anything they have would fit your situation. I currently use their 3000 series alarms and they work well. The only problem I have had is adjusting the transmitter so the sun does not hit it directly. It would give false alarms if the sun hit the sensor directly. Good luck.

/ Pole barn security alarm #10  
The OPTEX Wireless 2000 works great for motion detection up to 2000'. Receiver plugs in wall for tone. Has four zones & I believe can be portable with 9v batt. The trans is 9v batt and lasts over a year. 30x 40 or 20x120 coverage. Very reliable.