Plugged up drain.

/ Plugged up drain. #31  
I think the OP needs to call a plumber. If it was me I'd start by removing the trap and physically cleaning out the drain.

Chemical cleaners can destroy your metal plumbing fittings, especially the newer made in china fittings that are paper thin and made from crap metal.

/ Plugged up drain. #32  
All plastic here and a septic system too. I use Sodium Hydroxide also known as Lye myself and it's never caused septic tank issues but I do have the tank pumped every 3 years per local ordinance.

Available at a local hardware or Lowes or any box store. If that don't work, call a plumber.

/ Plugged up drain.
Anyone ever try one of those pump or pressure plungers? They have one in Harbor Freight for $9.99 and it got good reviews. Might be worth a shot for that price.

/ Plugged up drain. #34  
I had a problem with my kitchen sink drain too. I didnt biuld the house, had no knowledge of what route the drain line took. I tried clearing it out with 25ft long drain cleaner, that got me no-where. Called a plumber, he ran his drain cleaner down it, put more than 40ft down that drain. That got it working again, but not perfect. Slow flow, shall we say. Later tore up the tile floor, pulled up the cement board for a new tile floor, removed all the kitchen cabinets. removed some of the sub floor to re-position the hot and cold water lines for the sink so they came out the wall instead of coming out the floor. Did the same with the drain line. Discovered the the drain line runs near horizontal the entire length of the house. The only fall is the height of the floor joists, less than 10" total. I changed the sharp 90 degree elbows for long radius elbows and eliminated about 6 feet of extra pipe that they had in the wall. The pipe in the wall had an accumulation of fat in it with a hole going through the blockage the diameter of the stem of the drain cleaner or about 3/8". The rest was a solid plug. I think I have it sorted now and it should be a lot easier fishing something through it....

/ Plugged up drain. #35  
GREASE, kitchen grease will attach to the pipes and over several years it decreases the size of the pipe, a 1 1/2" pipe soon becomes reduced to a 3/4" pipe. That's why the drain slows down and over time it plugged. There are many types of heads that attach to drain snake, best to use a cutter head that will expand to the pipe walls and clean the pipe as it goes.

/ Plugged up drain.
I stopped at Harbor Freight today and purchased one of those "As seen on TV" power plungers for $9.99.

I plugged the outlet from the dishwasher and started running hot water. It was not long before I had a bunch of water in the sink.
I pulled the plunger arm to get as much water into the device as I could. I hammered it with everything I had. I did this several times.
Soon the water ran freely down the drain and did not back up anymore.

I'd say it was a win for only a few bucks.

I want to thank all of you for your comments and options. It's what makes this forum such a great place to come for advice.

Dave

99644_I.jpg

/ Plugged up drain. #39  
We had a slow draining bathtub for several years my wife would put pour drain cleaner down at every 3 or so weeks. Finally just decided to try this stuff it is amazing. It blew it wide open now I think she just does it once a year.

/ Plugged up drain. #40  
bacteria is what makes a septic system work. If you use harsh chemicals, you kill off this bacteria that makes the septic system work