Plow repair

/ Plow repair #1  

Chilly807

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
I picked up an old MF #62 2-bottom plow a month or so ago. It's been over the mountain and seen the elephant in the years since it was new, and I seriously doubt it's ever seen the underside of a roof in all those years either.

The crossbeam adjustment was seized solid on two of the U-bolt ends, one shin was in rough shape, and the bottom corners of both mouldboards were worn to a knife edge.

I backed up the shin with some steel, welded it in place (stick and 7018).

The mouldboards got the same treatment, then ground back to the original profile.

I had to zip-cut two of the adjustment U-bolt nuts off, the threads were mangled beyond any hope of repairing them.

I got the MIG out, built up the threaded areas, then ground and filed the repaired area down to close to the original size. A pass with a die nut, and the job was done.

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

Sean

/ Plow repair #2  
looks fantastic

i had my dearborn twin 14" buried today tilling tomatoes under

/ Plow repair
Thanks guys,

If it hadn't been for one of the U-bolts being loose, I probably would have left them alone on the chance it wouldn't need adjustment. Once you're into it, it's a case of now I HAVE to do it..

Sean

Last edited:
   / Plow repair #5  
wow.. you went to alot of work to save that ubolt.. and it looks good. I have had to simply make new ones before out of round stock, benting them around an anvill with heat, then threading them. I like your approach. it's nice to save oem parts.

good job!

soundguy

/ Plow repair #6  
looks good, I've also done the same as Soundguy with round stock.

/ Plow repair
That's what I get into with weekend jobs. Nothing open on Sunday near me, and no source of bar stock for sure. I was thinking, "I could do this on Monday, but I'd like to get it painted this weekend."

One of the really nice things about having welders is you can build most things if you don't mind putting the time in.

Sean

/ Plow repair #8  
Ok...thats pretty impressive. Nice job!
Is it difficult to re-thread that u bolt with all that weld on it? I suppose you file it down first, right? Sorry if thats a dumb question.

/ Plow repair #9  
he's have to file, or otherwise grind it down to the nominal diameter for the die/threads.

soundguy

/ Plow repair #10  
I got the MIG out, built up the threaded areas, then ground and filed the repaired area down to close to the original size. A pass with a die nut, and the job was done.

Seems this was stated way on earlier.:D