Loader plow hydraulics locks up

/ plow hydraulics locks up #1  

Dakota_male

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2850M Cab/ Takeuchi TB225,TBL;Club cadet RTZ S 46
I installed a new holland 7' doser blade on my old MF1532 last year, worked great all year.
This winter. (first snow fall for the year today 10-16" today)

I changed it over to my new MF1635. tonight the plow worked great in the garage, but after plowing for a bit it would lock up when trying to lift it.

If i floated it down again and slowly lifted it no problems, but not everytime. has anyone ran across this. is there some kinda limiting on the front end hydraulics?

/ plow hydraulics locks up #2  
Double check your hydraulic connections. I bet one is not connected well and is restricting flow.

sf

/ plow hydraulics locks up
I thought that too and took them apart too as once it started locking when angling the blade.
WOW
I wonder if the check balls could be causing the problems. Because the angle was corrected after I took them apart and put together again?
Can they be miss matched?

Double check your hydraulic connections. I bet one is not connected well and is restricting flow.

sf

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the hydraulic quick connects and post them, just maybe one is wrong or a different style/ type.
Thanks Sawdust

sf
I attached the pictures of my couplers on the tractor,FEL and plow. The plow couplers were different from the MF front loader. Do you think this caused the lock up when raising the plow fast or even angling the blade too fast causes lock up it too. I guess the plow's coupler check ball get forced by the higher hydraulic oil flow to shut off the returning fluid?

Attachments

• tractor coulpers.jpg
    tractor coulpers.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 198
  • plow couplers.jpg
    plow couplers.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 162
  • front end loader couplers.jpg
    front end loader couplers.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 245
   / plow hydraulics locks up #6  
Yes, some times you can interchange ball and poppet style QD's and some times you can't. If you haven't changed them already a simple test is to idle the tractor down and operate the functions with less flow / speed. If they work at lower flows and fail and higher flows then one of the QD's is closing at higher flow rates.

Had this same problem when using Ford 5000 Vs 5600. Factory QD's on the 5000 where ball style and on the 5600 where poppet style. Some times they would work and some times they wouldn't.

Roy

Yes, some times you can interchange ball and poppet style QD's and some times you can't. If you haven't changed them already a simple test is to idle the tractor down and operate the functions with less flow / speed. If they work at lower flows and fail and higher flows then one of the QD's is closing at higher flow rates.

Had this same problem when using Ford 5000 Vs 5600. Factory QD's on the 5000 where ball style and on the 5600 where poppet style. Some times they would work and some times they wouldn't.

Roy

You are correct, it would move slowly alright, but if I rev. The engine it would lock up. I purchased new male couplers, it did solved the problem. It was strange because it worked fine with my smaller mf1532, but as you said less flow it didn't locked up, good one to remember.

Some pictures of my frame parked in garage out of the way. 4 bolts connect it to the tractor frame just under the Cab. It uses all the hydraulic connections that the bucket uses. I had chains on my front tires of my 1532 and they worked great, so I ordered a set of ice cleats for the mf1635 front tires. THe cleats really make a big difference when plowing especially when using the angle. I only has a box scraper on the back for weight to keep some weight on the front tires. I just purchased a tire grover to grove the rear tires as well.

Attachments

• parked plow.jpg
    parked plow.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 153
  • parked plow1.jpg
    parked plow1.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Parked plow2.jpg
    Parked plow2.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 135
  • plow bracket on tractor.jpg
    plow bracket on tractor.jpg